Re: Faint ringing HTC One
murph1

MACRI and/or GAMBREJ:

Is the CDMA/LTE mode fix still working for you all this time?

Contrary to what a previous poster thought, the blue HTC One from Best Buy gets the faint ringing sound too. I have had mine for a week and just heard it today. Makes me wonder if I should return it in next week.

I have switched my phone into the CDMA/LTE mode in the Settings-->Mobile Data-->Preferred Network screen to see if that solves it, but again I have a sample size of "1", i.e. it has happened only one time so far.

So I am especially interested if either of you two can report that this 'fix' is still working since your last posts.

By the way, you mention an app that switches into CDMA/LTE preferred mode for you. Why do you need the app? Why not just change the setting once as I describe above and forget about it?

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep it in LTE/CDMA and it still happens.  It quits when I change it to GSM or UMTS, then I go back to LTE/CDMA.  The closest I've seem to a "fix" is someone in this thread said their SIM card was changed out and it hasn't happened since...but not sure if that is still true.

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also agree the standard pat answer from Verizon and/or HTC about it being a third party app we download is not relevant because the phone started doing it before any apps were downloaded onto my phone...I think it started a day or two after I bought the phone. 

murph1

Thanks for the feedback on the LTE/CDMA mode. Sounds like keeping it in that mode doesn't help the problem at all. The day before it happened I had installed the "Battery Guru" app, then I removed it after this happened. But it sounds like that is a red herring and it happens even if no apps have been installed.

I emailed HTC support and they told me they are working on the problem. Nothing specific, however. And I don't know what priority it holds for them.

How often does the ringing happen for you, Azz316? When people say "it happens", I don't know if that means daily or weekly or hourly or what.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

murph1 wrote:

How often does the ringing happen for you, Azz316? When people say "it happens", I don't know if that means daily or weekly or hourly or what.

FWIW:  For me it doesn't happen at random or with a particular frequency of occurrence;  it happens under specific conditions:  when I'm in a location where the signal is lost/almost-lost and the phone drops down to a lower band (i.e., maybe down to "1x")...or so it seems, anyway.  It's happened to me 4 or 5 times (every time under the conditions I mentioned), but never when I'm at home or in a town with a steady/strong signal.

0 Likes
rtpbiker

The faint ringing occurred again for me this past weekend and I was using the phone at the time and witnessed it happen. Before the faint ring occurred,  the signal went from 4G to 1x, then back up to 3G and then eventually back to 4G. Soon after transitioning back to the 4G state the faint ringing started. This problem should be producible in a controlled lab environment. Not sure why it has been ongoing for nine months (starting with Droid DNA).

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

Putting the phone into LTE/CDMA in the phone settings--->mobile data--->preferred network, is different than putting the phone into LTE,CDMA utilizing the app LTE OnOff. When your phone is in LTE/CDMA mode in your phone's settings, your phone utilizes 3 different bands. (LTE, CDMA, and EvDo) EvDo being your 3G band. Putting my phone into LTE,CDMA mode using the LTE OnOff app prevents my phone from connecting to EvDo. It is this band that is causing the problem. As long as you can live without 3G, you will not hear the faint ringing by keeping your phone in LTE,CDMA. Using the LTE app you can toggle LTE only, CMDA only, and EvDo only. I have been successful in replicating the faint ringing at work in a low signal area by switching between the bands, the problem occurs when I'm connecting or disconnecting to EvDo. The problem happens sparatically, If I try switching bands a dozen times I get the ringing once or twice. I've had atleast half a dozen conversations with HTC regarding this problem. They have stated that they are aware of the problem and have begun tracking it. If you contact HTC and they give you a run of the mill response I would mention that this problem is being tracked and refer them to this thread. The only way HTC is going to fix this is if the number of affected phones keeps growing.

murph1

Thanks for clarifying what that LTE/CDMA app does, Macri. I understand how it's different from the 'preferred mode' switch. I will usually have access to 4G network here in the city, but where I live (Colorado) there are plenty of places in the mountains where I'm sure would only be 3G access.

But it sounds like you have narrowed it down to the 3G/EvDo band that causes the problem. That is the most confident answer I've seen yet about this issue. Thanks for all your troubleshooting.

I did email HTC this morning and had two email exchanges. I did point them to this thread and intentionally asked them to verify for me that they were working on this problem. He said they were, but no specifics about a time-frame or priority for it.

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

murph1 wrote:

It happens at least 3 to 4 times a week, usually once per day with an exception here or there it may happen twice in a day (one time 3 times).  I think it is fair to say when it happens I am in a low signal area (mostly at work, driving through mountains, covered metal roof gas station (if that makes a difference).  Also, while it is happening, I've noticed when I go into Settings..."Mobile Data" says connecting versus connected.

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone received the latest software update and had the ringing reoccur? I installed the software update last night and set my phone back to full LTE,CDMA, EvDo auto. It's too early to make an assessment but so far I haven't had the ringing. I will keep you updated as time goes on.

0 Likes