Re: Faint ringing HTC One
rtpbiker

The faint ringing problem on my HTC One happened again today.  Although this time the sound volume wasn't so faint, let me explain... The phone's headphone jack was connected to the car stereo and music was playing from the phone going through the car's speakers (mp3 with Android Poweramp app).  I noticed one song playing had a peculiar ring sound in the background which I don't remember hearing in that song before.  I then realized the darn faint ringing problem was occurring and the ring sound was being pumped through the car speakers!! Unbelievable.

Previously when connecting the phone to the car stereo and before the ringing sound started I noticed the signal was "1x", whatever that means.  After the ringing sound started, the signal was "3G".  Shortly after I received a call and the faint ringing stopped.  Oh and one more thing... my wife's Droid DNA had the same faint ring issue again a couple days ago.  I didn't realize top tier smartphones were supposed to have problems like this.

0 Likes
lsyang

go to setting--->power---> disable fast boot, reboot

it solves the problem, at least for now.

0 Likes
waltnd

I bought an HTC One  four days ago and yesterday I was on a lake where there was no signal and my phone started the faint ringing.  I couldn't hear it but the others in the boat could, I turned the phone off and it continued to ring for about 10 seconds and then quit.  I've turned the fast boot off like recommended but from what I hear that doesn't work.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Turning off fast boot only allows a reboot to stop the ringing that time.  It doesn't prevent the problem from recurring.

0 Likes
sliberato77

I've had my One for about a month now and so far it has rung 4 times (twice just today). I did a restart the first three times to stop "The Ringing", this last time I switched my preferred network from LTE to GSM. The first time today my phone was not charging the second it was. The phone was NOT hot. The following is what I observed at the time of "The Ringing"

Sig Strength:      -96dBm

Mobile Network: 1XRTT

Network:             LTE

Phone State:      charging

Phone Temp:      normal

0 Likes
lsyang

Contacted HTC and here is the response:

"According to your description, this ringing issue seems to be caused by task killers, power savers or non compatible applications installed recently, so booting your phone in Safe Mode can help. Safe Mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications.

Before booting the phone in Safe Mode, please make sure you disable the Fast-boot option by going Menu>Settings>Power>Fast-boot.

To boot your handset in Safe Mode, please turn it off and then back on. When the HTC Logo or welcome screen appears, press and hold the volume down key and release it when Safe Mode is displayed at the lower-left (this may take up to 30 seconds). After you boot it in safe mode, try using it without third party applications for 24-48 hours to see if the ringing is one.

If you notice your phone your phone works just fine while in Safe Mode, this conflict should be caused by one of your applications. Try adding them back one at a time to determine which one is causing this conflict.

If booting the phone in Safe Mode was not successful on solving your phone’s situation, factory resetting it is required. If further assistance is required, do not hesitate to contact us http://www.htc.com/us/contact/email/ or call us at 1-866-449-8358 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. ET, seven days a week."

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

lsyang wrote:

Contacted HTC and here is the response:

"According to your description, this ringing issue seems to be caused by task killers, power savers or non compatible applications installed recently, so booting your phone in Safe Mode can help. Safe Mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications....

...If booting the phone in Safe Mode was not successful on solving your phone’s situation, factory resetting it is required....

These are the stock answers/suggestions that CS gives for any problem on any phone (or any computer problem, for that matter), not one specifically related to this problem on this phone.  It's what they say when they don't know what's wrong.

Still...if you find that removing a particular app actually does stop the problem from recurring (as unlikely as I think that is), please post it!

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

As HighDesert said, that's a canned answer. I've previously mentioned that they asked me to put it into safe mode, as well. Long story short, the ringing occurred in safe mode.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

I'm just glad that I don't live or work or daily-travel in an area where the phone is regularly switching/searching-bands (if, as it seems, ...that's what actually starts the ringing)...otherwise I'd be mighty peeved about it.  For me it only happens in infrequently-encountered circumstances.

For example, yesterday it did it when I hiked into a deep canyon.  It seemed to start faint-ringing ("FR"?) as I got deeper into the canyon and the phone started losing signal so it desperately tried different bands (or so I imagine) in order to find a signal.  When I got the FRing phone out of my pack I saw that it had no signal...so I put it in airplane mode and rebooted.  Why bother with airplane mode, why not just turn off the phone?  Because I wanted to continue using My Tracks with GPS to record my hike, but I didn't want to have to endure FR.  Rebooting to airplane mode seems to prevent FR...though, of course, that's not a "fix".

0 Likes
Jason_H

Add me to the list.  Got my HTC One just about as soon as they were available on Verizon.  All was swell up until about 2 weeks ago when i first heard that odd faint ring...no notifications, no nothing.

I have noticed, as has been brought up previously here in this thread, that it only seems to happen in a bad service area.

The stated fix to turn on all the global stuff for me is not an option because i am just a couple miles from Canada and I get the Canadian data roaming text all the time.  I don't relish the idea of paying out of country fees because of a problem with this phone.

Please Fix This!  My last Verizon phone was a Samsung Galaxy and that thing was a giant turd too.

0 Likes