Re: Faint ringing HTC One
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@dsblade, thanks for your ongoing observations.

@CalebSpronk, I appreciate you sharing your reasoning and insights.  So, changing radio-mode effects the ringing -- so it's radio-mode-switching-related, though not necessarily radio-interference as a direct cause (which is what I was assuming, but which is de-bunked by the fact that the ringing can persist in Airplane mode (where the radios are supposed to be shut off).  I think the radio-mode-switching relationship makes sense from the standpoint that it would be specific to VZW than other carriers.  On the other hand, regarding your speculation (which I agree with) it's also just as likely that that specific radio chipset combination and access software is specific to HTC One and DNA, which are the only VZW phones which seem to have the issue.

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

@random64, Yeah, I agree with you... in all honesty, I'm just kinda hoping someone with more knowledge might see these different tests that have been done and know what to do... even if it has to do with the switching between radio bands, I am not even close to experienced enough to know what to do then (outside of perhaps just shutting down that problem band, if it is indeed a single band causing the issue).

I will say that I'm going to try using the "LTE/CDMA" option for the foreseeable future, just to see if that helps (I'm almost never in an area that I want it to use EvDo anyways... I'd be fine with just LTE, but then I can't get phone calls).

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, it happened again last night, had full 4G LTE so probably not a low reception problem.  Anyway, like MACRI mentioned earlier...I went into my MOBILE DATA option in SETTINGS and went into PREFERRED NETWORK and switched it from GLOBAL to GSM/UMTS...the "ringing" went away (it did not go away when I switched to LTE/CDMA).

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Even though you had a full 4G connection, I'd still lean toward the issue being with the radio switching modes/bands and the software controlling these changes. You could've been switching towers or the radio software may just do some background scans/updates that are transparent to the user. For obvious reasons, if the issue we're seeing is indeed related to the radio changing modes, then the issue would be most prevalent when the device has little to no signal.

0 Likes
keithrlewis
Enthusiast - Level 2

What surprises me the most in all these discussions there has been no apparent response from Verizon as to this issue.   This shows me really either they are blind or just don't care to provide an explanation or reasoning behind the issue.

As I have said in previous postings - if everybody who has this issue calls HTC and opens a ticket and also calls Verizon to complain about the issues they are experiencing then we may be able to move the mountain so to speak.   Dealing with Verizon is painstaking and all they do is read from a script or in the case of Hardware issues transfer you to HTC.

As no other carrier appears to be having issues like this - the problem in my opinion comes down to custom software version Verizon has loaded on these phones.   Software controls hardware.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Not sure if this is still the case, but I know that with Android the signal bars used to show the CDMA connection, even if you were on LTE, so the full bars may not have necessarily been indicative of your true LTE connection.  When verifying signal strength, it is always best to go into the about phone section and get the dBm.

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@keithrlewis,

My speculation is that these forums are deployed by VZW simply as a way for us to solve each others "User Error" problems wherever possible to limit the traffic to customer service (CS) at VZW and/or HTC.  It makes sense from the standpoint that anything that can get solved without going to CS leaves more CS capacity left to deal with real issues, and it can be even quicker than trying to go through CS.  However, I don't think these forums are used by VZW to expose/elevate real issues, though I don't understand why they don't at least monitor the "Unanswered questions" ( Perhaps it might be more effective if posters would tag their issues with (device_problem) or something which flagged VZW that it's more than a "User Error").

So, instead of doing the most effective thing (as you did) for a device_problem, which is to open a trouble ticket with VZW and HTC, I'm afraid too many people assume CS *is* monitoring these forums and going to proactively find a solution or communicate one or something.

0 Likes
keithrlewis
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is supposed to be a new version of software coming out For the HTC one.

Take a look at the article..it's got some interesting information about versions

I have read multiple sources stating end of September

Sent from my HTC One on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Yes, you are absolutely correct about this site.  The only time the CS reps who are on this site visit a thread is if it is marked as a question, and none of the replies have been marked as an answer. 

macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got off the phone with verizon and I was advised to go into the settings for mobile data, open up data roaming and allow access for all trips, uncheck play sound when roaming, and select global mode and this would take care of the problem. The rep told me that this was the fix for the problem according to something he read. He also said the only time you need to take the phone out of roaming is when you leave the country. So, I will try this and report back.

0 Likes