Re: Faint ringing HTC One
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just in case some missed it...Airplane mode did not affect the ringing.  Also, it also goes away when starting a call (pressing green call), then immediately hanging up...if that helps any.

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

No problem. Today must be my lucky day, because it's ringing again. I can confirm that switching it to airplane mode does not stop the ringing. Any requests while it's going? It's almost bearable since I have my headphones plugged in.

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes! Download the LTE On/Off switch:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff&hl=en

From there, run it, and near the bottom there should be a dropdown (it'll currently say "CRMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE")... try selecting different options and seeing if that helps. I'd love to know if just switching networks helps. Each time, let it take 30 seconds or so to take effect. If none of those options work, try the "Turn off radio" button. Kinda doubt that would work do to the airplane mode thing, but it's worth a shot.

And thank you for dealing with that ring temporarily! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, switching to "LTE, CDMA" then toggling the radio power (to force an update, in my mind) didn't help. Also tried this with CDMA only, LTE only, and a couple others. I have to run to a meeting, but will keep it ringing in my headphones (stashed away) for a while. I'll check back later for any further suggestions. We'll also find out if it fixes itself.

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I downloaded the app LTE on/off. Turning off the radio during the ringing had no effect. Switching to any of the CDMA/LTE/GSM auto crap had no effect. Switching to GSM only made the ringing stop, then switching back to LTE, CDMA  the ringing didn't return. The phone does give you a notification sound when switching to GSM only and back. Does this confirm that it's something with the radio or is it software related?

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty sure that means it's for sure radio related (definitely what we were expecting, but still nice to know). As for whether it's the hardware or the software, I think that's still up in the air. But still... SOME progress Smiley Happy

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dang, I really wanted to say I was just going to keep only LTE on for the foreseeable future, but you can't even make/receive calls with just the LTE radio on. I should have known that ... but you CAN send and receive texts. Maybe I'll just have to change my voicemail message to text make sure to leave a message (which I'd get through Google Voice), or text me for a week or two...

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@CalebSpronk, to me all the macri results (along with dsblade and Azz316) show that it's likely *not* radio-related.

What's your reasoning that it is radio related?

I think the radio-related investigation was a sensible tack because celluar radio (and associated access sw) is one of the differentiating factors of the VZW HTC One (vs. other carriers 'Ones which don't seem to exhibit the problem).  However, maybe we should try to think of other specific sw differentiators.

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm that switching to GSM only does stop the ringing and switching back to the default (or any other) does not cause the ringing to return. Also, the ringing does not time out after about two hours.

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

@random64, I agree it didn't seem radio related when switching to any combination of LTE/CDMA/EvDo as that doesn't clear the ringing (or just turning the radio off for that matter). But, after figuring out that switching to GSM only does clear the sound, I can't imagine that this wouldn't be at least somehow related to the radio... Also, it is these multi-band radios that are different from the other HTC One's out there (where it contains LTE, CDMA, EvDo, GSM, and WCDMA to get all Verizon's bands and enough international bands to roam overseas). Of course, this exact radio is probably put in other Verizon headsets, so this is really all speculation.

On a separate note, this doesn't seem to be just HTC and Verizon related... I just found an article detailing the exact same thing on Sprint's Kyocera Echo Android phone... and it does appear to be radio/dialer related:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/misc-android-phone-chat/81804-subtle-ringing-silent-mode.html

There they stated that setting the phone to only Sprint's network fixed the issue (so no roaming). I had roaming turned off on my phone when it happened (I think so at least), so I don't think it has to do with that... but definitely think it's got something to do with the handoff between frequencies.

0 Likes