Faint ringing HTC One
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just wanted to start a discussion on Verizon's HTC One. I am on my second phone and have the faint ringing that the HTC Droid DNA owners or complaining about. It happens exactly like they say, Out of the blue it starts ringing from the earpiece and won't stop till I reboot the phone. This makes me think that it isn't an HTC problem but something that Verizon added that is acting up. I haven't heard of this problem with any other carriers and the One has been out for a while. Considering that both the DNA and the ONE have the same problem and are on the same carrier is a good indication that a verizon app is the culprit. Anyways I'm still within my 14 day window to return or exchange the phone and I'm wondering if I should just get a different phone or go for the lucky third times a charm. Any thoughts????

0 Likes
Re: Faint ringing HTC One
Not applicable

Personally I would not get the same device. I have the HTC One from T-Mobile and it does not have those issues.

If you like the device then get a brand new one. See if it happens while at the store. If it does then its a carrier issue in my personal opinion. If it does not act up within the remainder of your 14 days and does it on day 15 then you will be getting a second hand previously used junker. Many times the problems with the replacement is worse than the problem you had.

Don't believe that Verizon checks 100 things before they send out the refurbished units. If they did you would not read of all the issues with the Like New Certified Replacements. Just Google it and read for yourself.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Faint ringing HTC One
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

If you think it's something Verizon added, just disable all the Verizon apps and see if it continues.  Of course, it could also be some other app you installed, so you may want to uninstall those one at  a time to find the app.

macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

The first time it happened I had not installed any apps. I only had the phone for a day. The second time I had disabled all the verizon apps that verizon allows. I did try shutting down apps when it made the ringing but none of them stopped the ringing.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Then it's not anything that Verizon did.  Unless it has something to do with the CDMA radios.

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

It may not be anything with verizon, I was just looking at what was common between the DNA and the ONE. I'm going to try one more exchange from a different store to see if maybe there was a bad lot. If it happens again after the exchange I will probably switch to the Droid Maxx.

0 Likes
isuguitar12

My wife and I have both had this happen with our HTC Ones that we have only had for 5 days. It happened to both of us multiple times in low signal areas. The only fix that we have found is to restart with the fast boot option off. If the fast boot option is on, the ringing persists after restarting. It isn't affected by any changes to the notification/alarm/phone volumes. This is very annoying and I don't have much hope for a real fix since they evidently have no fix for the similar HTC Droid DNA problem. We will probably return these phones and wait our contract to switch carriers.

0 Likes
Shaken
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this problem seriously persisting into the One?!

So I picked up mine on the 22nd, and just now it started doing this to me.  The issue persisted through a reboot, and only after reading a comment in the DNA thread (after searching for the issue on Google and finding that thread) I was able to get that ringing to stop by placing a call.

I do not get a great signal here in my office, but I've never had this issue before. Yesterday was my first day in the office and I did not have the issue at all until this morning.

So far my experience seems to point towards the low signal Verizon/HTC theory, but I'll keep and eye on it and disable fast boot next time if it occurs again.

0 Likes
Shaken
Enthusiast - Level 2

isuguitar12 wrote:

My wife and I have both had this happen with our HTC Ones that we have only had for 5 days. It happened to both of us multiple times in low signal areas. The only fix that we have found is to restart with the fast boot option off. If the fast boot option is on, the ringing persists after restarting. It isn't affected by any changes to the notification/alarm/phone volumes. This is very annoying and I don't have much hope for a real fix since they evidently have no fix for the similar HTC Droid DNA problem. We will probably return these phones and wait our contract to switch carriers.

Just curious... are you turning the fast boot option back on after you clear the issue?  When you turn that off does that option re-enable itself?

0 Likes
isuguitar12

No I haven't turned it back on. I only tried turning the fast boot off after the ringing continued after about 4 reboots. After switching that off and restarting, the ringing stopped and I haven't touched that option again. Mine has not started ringing since doing this but my wife's One has so I don't believe it is a fix but a way to stop it.

0 Likes