Re: Epic HTC Thunderbolt/Verizon Fail
rcschnoor
Legend

21stNow wrote:

The car examples are different from the phone examples because the car examples presented so far impact not only the safety of the car's owner, but the safety of other people around them, that don't have the same choices that the car owner does.  A cellular phone (smart, feature or dumb) doesn't carry that same seriousness.Unless, of course, you are operating the phone while driving your vehicl   My phone is no less safe to operate without the Blockbuster app than your Thunderbolt is.

The reason for restrictions on cars(lets call this TAXWARE and not BLOATWARE since the main reason is to generate income for the state) is irrelevant. There are items you need to have on your car if you want to put it on public roads. Additionally, yes some and maybe even most of these restrictions are safety based, but all of them are not and the restrictions are not even uniform throughout the country. I know that my car is no less safe to operate if I do not have working lights to illuminate my lisence plate, let alone having a lisence plate at all, but both are required to operate a vehicle on the public roads. These items may make it easier for identification of my vehicle, but does in no way make the operation of my vehicle any safer.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The car examples are different from the phone examples because the car examples presented so far impact not only the safety of the car's owner, but the safety of other people around them, that don't have the same choices that the car owner does.  A cellular phone (smart, feature or dumb) doesn't carry that same seriousness.Unless, of course, you are operating the phone while driving your vehicl   My phone is no less safe to operate without the Blockbuster app than your Thunderbolt is.

The reason for restrictions on cars(lets call this TAXWARE and not BLOATWARE since the main reason is to generate income for the state) is irrelevant. There are items you need to have on your car if you want to put it on public roads. Additionally, yes some and maybe even most of these restrictions are safety based, but all of them are not and the restrictions are not even uniform throughout the country. I know that my car is no less safe to operate if I do not have working lights to illuminate my lisence plate, let alone having a lisence plate at all, but both are required to operate a vehicle on the public roads. These items may make it easier for identification of my vehicle, but does in no way make the operation of my vehicle any safer.

I still consider that a safety issue (and I have gotten a ticket for it!), though not necessarily an operational safety issue.  License plates make it easier for police to identify vehicles that have been involved in a crime.  Theoretically, police will know that the vehicle that I am driving was not involved in a recent bank robbery, but the other car that looks just like mine, but with tags that match the description was involved in that bank robbery.  The police won't pursue me, but will pursue the other vehicle instead.

This is also why states kill license plates when a vehicle has not passed the safety inspection.  There may be underlying things that make your car unsafe to operate on the roads, but the car is still driveable.  Since the police can't readily see that your check engine light is on, but can see that your tags are dead due to a failed safety inspection, the license plates (and illumination) are indirectly affecting our safety on the road.

0 Likes
tim600sl
Contributor - Level 3

doobiewondrsmke wrote:

All I want to say is that if the bloatware bothers you, there are ways to remove it, just google it.

I think the majority of us are well aware of the ways to remove bloatware, but it comes at the price of invalidating the warranty.  That really doesn't seem like a reasonable option with the cost of the hardware and contract.

obviously u didnt read the part about going back to stock, thus revalidating the warranty without anyone knowing it. refine ur search on google.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

If you do your research, you'll find that the way you remove the bloatware that voids the warranty, can be UNDONE if needed.

If bloatware really bothers you that much, look into it. I promise you'll keep your warranty.

Although I don't understand why you're so upset about the TBolt having bloatware, when you say you've had Android for years and years. ALL Android phones have Verizon's bloatware.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Actually the Droid1 and the Droid Eris were blissful free of Verizon's bloatware. There was some things from HTC on the Eris. In terms of the number of Verizon specific applications, there were none preloaded.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

21stNow wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I still consider that a safety issue (and I have gotten a ticket for it!), though not necessarily an operational safety issue.  License plates make it easier for police to identify vehicles that have been involved in a crime.  As I said, it is an identification issue, but does not in any way make the operation of my vehicle any safer. Theoretically, police will know that the vehicle that I am driving was not involved in a recent bank robbery, but the other car that looks just like mine, but with tags that match the description was involved in that bank robbery.  The police won't pursue me, but will pursue the other vehicle instead.

This is also why states kill license plates when a vehicle has not passed the safety inspection.  Or why states kill license plates when they need revenue, so they decide to change the design on the plates, therefore FORCING everyone in the state to PAY for new ones even though the plates on your car may be in perfectly good condition. Like I have said, taxware providing a revenue stream. There may be underlying things that make your car unsafe to operate on the roads, but the car is still driveable.  Such as a catalytic converter, oh yeah, that also does not aid in the safe operation of your car. Additionally, if your car didn't have one to begin with, doesn't seem to detract from the safe operation of those cars. Since the police can't readily see that your check engine light is on, but can see that your tags are dead due to a failed safety inspection, the license plates (and illumination) are indirectly affecting our safety on the road.

0 Likes