Re: Did You get The Most Recent Firmware Update And Did It Work
Kaitlin

This update only fixed one thing on my poor TBolt and that was the rebooting. Now instead of my phone rebooting on the upwards of 3x daily, it now will reboot once every few days...but that's it.

The data has actually gotten WORSE. I live in the Philly area and I get 4G basically EVERYWHERE. Ever since this update, I have rarely seen any 4G, it's all 3G plus my data will randomly go out completely and I have to do a complete reboot in order to get data back. I have to stay on wifi most of the time in order to keep my data going.

My touchscreen is still touchy, less glitchy but my pattern unlock still likes to glitch and annoy me.

And finally, the My Verizon app still doesn't work! I cannot for the life of me, even after clearing the data and force stopping the app it will not connect to the servers. 

I just wish HTC and Verizon would stop fussing about and get us Gingerbread...right now I feel like that's the TBolt's only hope. I have a usable upgrade coming up soon and I'm quite tempted to pull another 200-300 to get the Charge, the Samsung interface is my favorite, I love it more than Sense. 

0 Likes
Developer
Enthusiast - Level 3

1) Did you get the Update : Yes, but had to manually check to get it.

2) Did it Fix The Reboot Bug From The Last Update: No, in fact, it has gotten worse and now seems to take longer to reboot.

3) How is the performance of the phone now: Aside from the random reboots getting worse, I've noticed that my battery drain when on 3G only is now as short as it is on LTE/3G combined.  I was able to get through 27hours with light use on 3g only and now I can make it about 8 hours with the same usage. Also, I have had to toggle between the both of them and wireless more than a few times when it loses any and all data transfers.  Today I had to restart to get any data.  Last thing, I noticed that when the phone is plugged in and charging, the screen is pretty unresponsive to touch.  That has never been a problem but is now.

4) Has the latest update brought any new problems: Guess I should have read the questions before replying.  New problems are listed on #3.

0 Likes
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

PJNC284 wrote:

oooh big words.  I'm impressed (not really).

I don't apologize for being educated and I certainly couldn't care less if you are impressed or not. My opinion and sentiment stands as stated. Your mileage may vary.

PJNC284 wrote:

The Verizon reps will say anything to make a sale and it's a real shame that some people are gullible enough to believe them and don't even research before they buy.

There was not much out on the TB when I bought it and I am not a total idiot, your opinion notwithstanding. It should be noted that the phone worked flawlesslessly for the first 3 weeks I had it before the first software push suggesting a VZW issue, not a problem with the phone, per se.

PJNC284 wrote:

I assure you that the majority of people would agree that it isn't a "flagship" phone.  I'd even hazard to say that the OG Droid was the only true flagship phone given the marketing and everything else surrounding that device since the rate of advancement for android devices make it pretty much impossible to be a flaship anything.  It was just the first LTE phone and bugs were sure to follow not to mention android in and of itself is quirky and buggy by design.    That said, you're entitled to believe what you want.  I knew what I was getting my self into and that's why I look to the development community (biggest plus of any android device) and not Verizon so I'm more than happy with the Thunderbolt.

I am honestly not entirely dissatisfied with the phone, just disappointed in VZW's performance.
0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Listed below are some links on our website regarding the update and the benefits and steps.

Link below for benefits of the software update:

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt.pdf

Link below for page with information about software update:

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html

To check if  your phone is ready to be updated, you can  use the steps below, however the update is being pushed in stages and all phones wont get the update at the same time. When the update is pushed to your phone, you will receive a message allowing you to download the update or you can use the steps below:

Menu > Settings > Software Update > Check New

0 Likes
s8njr

TB is already outdated....Everything's outdated within 3-8 months of it's release. Think about when the HTC came up with the concept of the "Mecha" a.k.a Thunderbolt.....they think of it, design it, build it, test it, re-test it, send it out to consumers....it will be on the EOL list just as quick as the Eris was. I had my Eris for 2 years.

{edit for TOS violation}

changed ROMS obsessiveley and never had an issue with it. Girlfriend went through 4 Eris's in 5 months because of defects.

0 Likes
OldManInWVa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have not seen an update yet, Manual update results in a blank screen.

Is there any way of forcing an update?  would really like to see if this new update fixes my reboot problem.

The last update was available to me the first day out so a manual check and install went well.. just didn't fix anything.

0 Likes
DrJoeKim

Running the latest update. No problems so far. 

0 Likes
SoonerFan701

Yes, I got the update the night it came out

Mine didn't really have a "reboot" problem, but it resets occasionally after I come out of an app. It seems to be doing this more often now.

My phone seems to be slower now. My screen seems to lock up or slower at moving side to side. I lose connection to the 4G/LTE more often and I need to do a restart on my phone to get it back.

I was a lot happier with my phone before the last update. Wish that I would not have updated.

Really wished I would have stayed with the Iphone now. I moved from AT&T to Verizon to get this phone. Now regretting it

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I have officially gone past one week (seven full days) without any kind of reboot since the last update. I have not shut down the phone. The phone hasn't rebooted itself. It hasn't even shut itself off.

I still get data drops while in the LTE / CDMA mode, but I going to live with them for the next month. Why? Because where I work is getting LTE on August 18, 2011. I want to see any early unofficial LTE signal.

I wasn't getting any data drops that I am aware of when I had the phone set to CDMA only mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TheFireGoddess

I only had my phone a week or so before the update, but I never had the rebooting issue.

All the other issues I had, severe keyboard lag, sending texts/info to random people not selected (from my contacts list) crap battery life, and so on and so forth.. nope.

It did NOTHING.

As a matter of fact my data connection is pretty much GONE since the update. I live in a 4g area and I swear depending on which way the wind blows I lose service. After ten or so complaints to verizon tech they just said they would investigate, after telling me its because I live on the fringe of the city.

WRONG. I can drive 70 miles in either direction and get 4g coverage.

Well I could.

Its my city that has the issue, I can stand next to the tower and get ZIP.

Its absolutely horrific. My phone is FACTORY. No apps, no downloads, NOTHING. Not even a picture and I still have issues.

My 'refurbished' model they sent to replace this one had the software update and rebooted non stop AND had ZERO data connection. Period. At all.

Fedex mailed it back yesterday.

I hate to say it but I sincerely doubt that any amount of software updating, is going to fix all the problems these phones have. Something is vastly wrong with this phone. I realize many people love these phones, and yes everyone gets a lemon sometimes, but the sheer amount of issues, complaints and 'lemons' makes me think that maybe in reality people are getting the few rare golden eggs and the rest are rotten.

0 Likes