Constantly dropping 3g data since update
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone else out there having this issue?  Ever since the last sw update, I have been constantly dropping my 3g signal.  It is extremely frustrating, especially since improved data connectivity was supposed to be one of the "fixes".  I am so sick of being told to pull my battery or do a factory reset.  I have done all of the above and still have these issues.  Verizon tells me my only option is to use my upgrade or accept a CLNR device.  I am so disappointed that we have had so many ridiculous issues from the start with these phones.  I really like the phone and wish it would just work like it's supposed to.  If they could develop software that actually worked for these phones we wouldn't have this problem.  But, we end up paying the price, both financially (didn't have a problem taking my payment, did you VZW?) and through the mass amounts of time we waste researching a phone that Verizon themselves didn't research.  I am at the end of the Big Red rope, I cannot waste anymore time, effort or money on this phone.  ETF's are beginning to look like a better option, since I have spent countless hours on this phone.  I have read about other's who were given other options, but not me.  Apparently, my 225.00 bill a month isn't good enough, not to mention how much money I spend on freaking accessories.  I am extremely disgusted.......BTW I'm not even in a 4g area, so I've got it set to CDMA only.  Another lie from a Verizon Rep, we'll have 4g by the end of 2011, yeah bro, try 2013.  But, I am not a rookie by any means when it comes to phones, I should've known that was **bleep**. 

0 Likes
Re: Constantly dropping 3g data since update
Wildman
Legend

I feel your pain but please to not misread this but this is where I believe Verizon is coming from.... A number of users have made it habit of complaining about issues with a device. that doesn't always exist because they want to try to force Verizon to upgrade them to a new device that they decided they want....

I am not saying this is your case but its becoming a regular practice and have read of users doing this and I am sure this made them revise policies to avoid this..

I can't say I can understand the issues you have been having but I can say I love my device and haven't Sen any major issues, most that I did see was related to software I loaded that the OS didn't play well with.

If you don't mind me asking when you did resets did you allow the apps and setting auto restore and install because that is one of the main issues I have seen lately... So far the MR2 update has done good by me.

Sorry to hear you still having issues but why are you blaming Verizon for HTCs update and phone? Verizon just sell them and supply service.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

kzerefos wrote:

Anyone else out there having this issue?  Ever since the last sw update, I have been constantly dropping my 3g signal.  It is extremely frustrating, especially since improved data connectivity was supposed to be one of the "fixes".  I am so sick of being told to pull my battery or do a factory reset.  I have done all of the above and still have these issues.  Verizon tells me my only option is to use my upgrade or accept a CLNR device.  I am so disappointed that we have had so many ridiculous issues from the start with these phones.  I really like the phone and wish it would just work like it's supposed to.  If they could develop software that actually worked for these phones we wouldn't have this problem.  But, we end up paying the price, both financially (didn't have a problem taking my payment, did you VZW?) and through the mass amounts of time we waste researching a phone that Verizon themselves didn't research.  I am at the end of the Big Red rope, I cannot waste anymore time, effort or money on this phone.  ETF's are beginning to look like a better option, since I have spent countless hours on this phone.  I have read about other's who were given other options, but not me.  Apparently, my 225.00 bill a month isn't good enough, not to mention how much money I spend on freaking accessories.  I am extremely disgusted.......BTW I'm not even in a 4g area, so I've got it set to CDMA only.  Another lie from a Verizon Rep, we'll have 4g by the end of 2011, yeah bro, try 2013.  But, I am not a rookie by any means when it comes to phones, I should've known that was **bleep**. 

Kzerefos i give the kudo because of what you been thru.  But as wildman said Verizon only supplies the devices an the service it's HTC that releases the updates if verizon sees a problem with it they can reject it but if passes there test an they give the ok it goes on to the consumer an then if there is another issue there again its HTC job to come up with the update to solve the Problem.

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the replies, it is just frustrating to keep losing my 3g signal as I use my data quite a bit.  I understand that many people have taken advantage of the situation simply because they wanted new phones.  I really don't want/need a different phone, since I don't even see anything that competes with the T-bolt on Verizon's network.  I actually like the phone a lot, I just wish it worked like it should.  I was more frustrated when i wrote the original post last night, but I still hope they get these updates fixed.  HTC is dropping the ball in regards to software quality, IMO.  Glad to be a part of these forums though, you guys are always there to help.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
gerelee
Enthusiast - Level 3

BOTH of my 4g phones would lose the 3g signal and drop to NO connection at all, regularly ... back to using my iphone, as i just can't see dealing with that issue all day long .. not worth the headaches, to me, and verizons solution was to send me new phones, which, of course, didn't solve the issue either!!!

0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's the point exactly.  It is not a hardware problem so I don't see the reasoning behind sending out CLNR's to all of the people who have had issues with their bolts.  I would much rather see HTC and VZW send out an update that works than send me a refurbished phone so I can deal with someone else's issues.  I have not had much luck with the CLNR program and have been disappointed in the quality of the replacement phones in the past. 

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

kzerefos-Thanks so much for expressing your concernwithin the community.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the lack of 3G on your Thunderbolt. In fact, the main people many of us have an Android is to be able to browse the internet quickly and easily right at our fingertips.

The good news is that we have lifted this problem up to HTC and they will be releasing a software to resolve the data connectivity issues in MR3. Right now the software is in the development & testing stages to ensure once it is released, you will no longer experience connectivity issues.

In the meantime, please keep in mind that if you are in a WiFi area when your 3G drops, you are able to use that feature on the device. This way you are not missing important emails, you will be able to view websites, access your Market as well as other data features on the phone.

0 Likes
thephantom
This is how I solved my 4G issue:

Go to the dial pad
Punch in *#*#4636#*#*
Phone Information
(Scroll down to the middle of the page and you should see "Network Type". It is probably showing "unknown")
Touch "Run ping test" towards the top
Now your "Network Type" should be LTE

Good luck!!
0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

@thephantom, thanks for the response but I'm not in a 4g area at this time.  I've tried the settings both ways with CDMA only and CDMA/LTE enabled with no noticeable difference.  At least I know I'm not the only one who had this issue as it is being addressed by HTC.  Thanks again though.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

@Tamara:

Will this update from HTC also fix issues with the Thunderbolt dropping 4G, or only dropping 3G?

My phone's still dropping out of 4G every day or two for periods of minutes to hours - very frustrating.  

0 Likes