Constant Data Drops
bleenky

Hey all,

First off, I'll say I've been searching on this and the 4G forum for the better part of today and have come across a lot of useful information. That being said, I've also noticed that there are a lot of people with the same issue that I have.

I just got my new phone yesterday and immediately started having issues with it. I've been without a phone for about 3 weeks after my moto droid finally stopped responding to all touch inputs and I decided on a phone to replace it with, so as anyone would do, I began scouring the market looking for apps and kept getting an error saying that I needed a data connection to use the market. I would look up and sure enough, I'd have the little cross-hair symbol and 5 bars, but no 4GLTE symbol. I would restart my phone and it would be back for a little bit and then it would go out again. I could also get it back by unchecking "Mobile Networks" and then checking it again. I also found in some of sniffing around some instructions by a Verizon wireless employee that started out with me dialing ##778 and changing the REV A modem setting to enable, but to no avail.

I'm not exaggerating, but this happened at least 35 times yesterday and has so far done it about 20 today. I left work and the 4G area and went home where I only get 3G and experienced the same exact issue. I'd lose 3G and not even have 1x while my wife's moto droid is staring me in the face with 5 bars and 3G. I called tech support and they're telling me the phone is DOA and have authorized me to replace it at a local store. The customer service lady I spoke with also offered to waive the $35 restocking fee if I elected to go with another phone — which brings me to my question to you.

The issue with my droid drove me insane and the last thing I need right now is another problem phone. I'm very wary about replacing this thunderbolt with a brand new one at the store. Why? Because if it also turns out to have the same issues, the only thing I can do is a warranty replacement which is sure to be a refurb and will likely have been returned for this very same reason. So what should I do? Should I get a new thunderbolt and hope for the best, or should I just bag it and get another phone? I really like the thunderbolt in every aspect aside from this data issue, but I don't think I should have to deal with this issue for the next two years while I wait for an upgrade, ya know?

TL;DR - phone drops data connection, should I replace the thunderbolt with a new one or get a completely different phone?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Constant Data Drops
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

i would try a sim card before a new phone

but in reality a lot of people are having this issue with every 4g device on the market

0 Likes
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've been having the same problem off and on for a couple of weeks, but ONLY in a 4G coverage area. It does not happen in a 3G only area, or if I put my phone into 3G only mode while in a 4G area. I found two ways to fix the data drops: Power the phone off and then on, or go into "Airplane" mode, and then out of it. I went to my local Verizon store (now that I'm on my 3rd Thunderbolt, they kinda know me now), and asked if I had another bad Thunderbolt. I was told that this is a common problem with 4G phones (not just the Thunderbolt). As they explained it to me, if something interrupts a 4G data stream, the phone drops all data connections, and can't reconnect. I was told that there is a system upgrade coming in a couple of weeks that is supposed to fix it. In the mean time, either keep your phone in 3G mode, or put an airplane mode widget on your home screen.
0 Likes
motoryder
Contributor - Level 1
I have this problem in a 3g area...then it takes like a minute or 2 to get a connection. I tried restarting, battery pull, airplane mode, nothing fixes it...its getting ridiculous, I'm on my 3rd tb.
0 Likes
kzerefos
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bleenky, just a quick note.  At the risk of catching major criticism, I will let you know that the GB update to be released anytime now should include 2 new radios as well (both CDMA and LTE).  This has helped others tremendously with data drops.  I would tell you to be patient, though frustrating, as they are seemingly very close with the update.  The leaked versions have their bugs as well, so I think at this point it would be wise to wait it out for the official OTA.  Based on what I've seen, it should be a rather large update to include numerous fixes.  Not to mention that VZ had a major data outage yesterday that may have affected you.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

I hope GB fixes it.  Nothing else has.  I've tried a new sim card and a master reset after which I installed no apps for a week, and I still lose 4G intermittently. 

I'm traveling in a 3g only area for the next 9 days.  Hopefully GB will be released with a fix before I get back to my home 4g area. 

0 Likes
tbone732000
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, check this out. I remember someone mentioned on this forum you could call VZN and ask tech support to reset your data, so I did that and what level 2 tech suport told me that the data issues going on right now with the blue - white 4G signal means that when it's white its a weak signal and blue means its a strong signal, and the reason for this happening more lately is because 4G is run off of "grids" and they currently have only two "grids" in the USA, SO because of the ever increasing demand due to sales these grids can't handle the demand. VZN is building more grids which in turn cause more problems holding on to DATA 4G LTE signals as they are being built. As oppose to 3G which runs on towers of which there are more of. The completion of more grids is uncertain at the moment but they are being built. She also told me what she can do for me to improve my signal was to give me "Hybrid prefered Roaming" and it may take up to 24 hours to take affect. Now, I'm not positive as to what all this means but I do know their are smarter people than me on this subject, and the more light you can shed on this the better. Please advise.....

Did I mention her RZR MAXX is doing this too. Blue to white and dropping data. GNEX and other 4G phones are all doing this.

Replacing the phone may not do anything for you. If nothing else put the phone into 3G or CDMA only. Until your update comes in.

0 Likes
AscoliP

Yes I have the same problem in few past days in Maryland are. Called VZW Support. They are not aware of 4G issue. They got a ticket to address the problem. They recommend to download Xfinity Connect Apps from Google Play. It will work on 4G. Yes, It works on my ThunderBolt with 4G

0 Likes