Re: Check For Software Update Question
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tboltaz wrote:

Sborden wrote:
Don't download it. Its none of the things stated on the flyer. The only thing it does do is take away mobile hotspot. There is no bookmark (no loss), there is no tabbed browsing in app drawer, the bluetooth is not fixed....DONT download it, nothing but lies as usual

I don't think you could be any more WRONG this update is exactly what the pdf doc states, so far completely fixes reboots. It doesnt say it makes a tabbed app drawer. It says app menu tabbed, which is only on certain apps. Helps with performance overall, i absolutely love it and starting to love my phone again after this update. Don't listen to Sbordens post, couldn't be further from the truth. If your getting the service unavailable message look at my thread i started about an email i got from HTC, there is a tip in there(from htc) to get it working.(havent tested the trick cause i aready have the update)

Tboltaz,

Im not getting service not available mesg. What happens is I tell the phone to look for a new update the window pops up stating that it is looking then a secound or so later it just goes away leaving me on the Update screen (Where it shows Status and Check For Update) Nothing else happens. It's frustrating because the rest of the phone Data wise works fine I can surf send E-mail etc so it's not a service problem and Im not getting a message that says so. Im not getting any message at all and it's driving me crazy because I don't' know if there is a problem with the phone or if it's just that I'm in a holding pattern for the Update if you will. What would help is to know if anybody else that has had this problem while in 3G/4G has been able to get the Update. I know a few of you that where getting no service managed to put  the phone in 1x  mode and get it but I doubt that will solve my problem the phone is getting to the network but dose not want to give me an answer. So basically it's acting like a VZW Rep when you ask them about Gingerbread:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Tboltaz
Contributor - Level 1

DroidM wrote:

Tboltaz wrote:

Sborden wrote:
Don't download it. Its none of the things stated on the flyer. The only thing it does do is take away mobile hotspot. There is no bookmark (no loss), there is no tabbed browsing in app drawer, the bluetooth is not fixed....DONT download it, nothing but lies as usual

I don't think you could be any more WRONG this update is exactly what the pdf doc states, so far completely fixes reboots. It doesnt say it makes a tabbed app drawer. It says app menu tabbed, which is only on certain apps. Helps with performance overall, i absolutely love it and starting to love my phone again after this update. Don't listen to Sbordens post, couldn't be further from the truth. If your getting the service unavailable message look at my thread i started about an email i got from HTC, there is a tip in there(from htc) to get it working.(havent tested the trick cause i aready have the update)

Tboltaz,

Im not getting service not available mesg. What happens is I tell the phone to look for a new update the window pops up stating that it is looking then a secound or so later it just goes away leaving me on the Update screen (Where it shows Status and Check For Update) Nothing else happens. It's frustrating because the rest of the phone Data wise works fine I can surf send E-mail etc so it's not a service problem and Im not getting a message that says so. Im not getting any message at all and it's driving me crazy because I don't' know if there is a problem with the phone or if it's just that I'm in a holding pattern for the Update if you will. What would help is to know if anybody else that has had this problem while in 3G/4G has been able to get the Update. I know a few of you that where getting no service managed to put  the phone in 1x  mode and get it but I doubt that will solve my problem the phone is getting to the network but dose not want to give me an answer. So basically it's acting like a VZW Rep when you ask them about Gingerbread:smileyhappy:

Haha nice analogy. I wold try doing a battery pull then once your back up set phone to cdma only then chck for an update, it showed up for me by doing that, once i accepted the update i quickly set it back to 4g so it could download on 4g rather than 3g or 1x. if that doesnt work read my thread i started a few hours ago, there is an email i got from htc in there which they explain how to pull the update if its not working.( I havent tested it since i got update last night and didnt get the email from htc till this morning) let me know if it works. Cheers-

Update: This is what HTC says to do--let me know if it works

"You can attempt a device check in to see if available for your phone, if needed. Open the phone dialer and dial *#*#2432546#*#*. The number should then go blank and you will look for a notification on the status bar for “Check in succeeded.” You can then tap Menu while on the Home screen followed by Settings>System Updates. If unavailable at this time, we recommend waiting a week or so for the notification to show on your phone as staggered releases will take some time to get to everyone."

0 Likes
gospelsoulsax

Mine has been doing the same for a week

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I started this thread and wanted to update it with what I've done so far.

After waiting most of last night for the update with no joy, this morning I called Verizon tech support. I had trouble making them understand what the problem was, but they finally caught on. I explained that I had pulled the battery with no success. I then pulled the battery and the SIM card with no success. At that point, the Verizon tech transferred me to HTC tech support.

Went through the same thing with having trouble getting her to understand what the problem was, but again after 3-4 attempts, finally got through to her. Explained again what I had already done and she said I needed to do a Factory Data Reset. OK, I didn't really want to have to set up my phone again, but we did it anyway.

Did Factory Data Reset, went back into the Settings/Software update/Check new. Same thing. At that point, the tech told me that if that didn't fix it, that it must be normal. I told her I knew it wasn't normal because it just started doing it, I have had my phone for 4 months and I know what is normal for my phone. And this isn't normal. I finally gave up trying to convince her and hung up.

Called Verizon back this afternoon and explained everything to them again and was told that if HTC said it was normal, that there wasn't much they could do. She also told me that the update would be pushed out and when it got pushed to me, I would see an Android icon in my status bar and that it might take a week or more. I told her that I got the MR1 update immediately and I'm really not expecting the Android icon to appear. I also am still getting the original message for the Hotspot stating that it is free for the promotional period and I will have to start paying when it's over. Since I've already initiated the 30.00 unlimited option at my Verizon store, I'd say that hasn't caught up with my phone yet either.

I've also tried going into 1x with no success. Fortunately, my phone has been trouble free up until now, so since I haven't been having any reboot, or GPS issues, this isn't a critical update for me, but if I had been having to endure a lot of reboots, I'd probably be pretty hot right now.

Just wanted to let everyone know that doing a Factory Data Reset does not fix this problem.

Also, for anyone interested, My Backup Pro was worth every penny I paid for it. It restored my home screens and data back to the way I had them when I backed up this morning. I only had to go in and reactivate a few of the programs.

I am not happy with the results so far, but I have been very calm and courteous to everyone I talked to.  Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

mine does the same as some others have described. however, mine has done this since the day i bought it (i never did even see the first update....not that i wanted to download it anyway, which is why i never cared to look into this). on 1X the window just disappears and on 3g i get the "service unavailable" message. also, i tried the method that htc emailed to tboltaz (thanks for tharing htc's suggestion by the way). however, i got the same results. so no update for my tbolt. i've never had any issues though so i likely wont worry about it too much, since it doesn't appear that this does much, unless you had the reboot issue. besides....if all it's going to do for me is take away free hotspot, then i'll keep the hotspot and verizon can keep my update....lol.

0 Likes
ThunderboltWolf

Here is an answer to the topic at hand, I had came into the Verizon store and showed her the soft ware update disappears and what she said was really exciting to hear that the software update was having issues with the android market and the update itself is having problems. That is why your getting the update disapears action because their blocking people from updating their device so you wont have those problems. I totally didnt ask but she also said the update is also tied with gingerbread thats coming at the end of this month which should including the latest build that they just released and of course gingerbread. With that said she also said when you can actually update you will get a notification on the top left corner of your screen that its time to update. Hope this helps 

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Wolf,

At least that makes more sense than HTC having me do a Factory reset then tell me it's normal. I'm still not sure I'm buying it though. 1. Mine started doing it about 2-3 days before the update, not after it had started to roll out and 2.They're not blocking everyone, just some of us. Why just block some and not everyone? Or just pull the update.

I'm glad I'm not having any issues. I'm not even sure I want this update now. I may just wait till they decide to give us Gingerbread.

0 Likes
ThunderboltWolf
Yeah when I came in I showed the update from engaget.com and she told me theirs issues with that update. I had made no reference of gingerbread yet she said it was coming at the end of this month. Hope its true. I for one have if not any reboots on my phone.
0 Likes
ThunderboltWolf
I still have hotspot for free. Although this morning it was going in and out of 4G its back to normal.
0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

ThunderboltWolf wrote:
Yeah when I came in I showed the update from engaget.com and she told me theirs issues with that update. I had made no reference of gingerbread yet she said it was coming at the end of this month. Hope its true. I for one have if not any reboots on my phone.

From What I have seen on the Forums Hear this NEW Update that came out Friday has had no issues at all. Most everybody that has gotten is is extremely happy because they have stated that performance wise they have seen an improvement, and that the reboot issues has gone away completely. Im not shore that I buy that VZW is blocking people from getting this update I got the last update late because I had forgotten it was coming out and stupidly DL it with out checking the forums to see if there where any problems with it. The problems at the time where obvious and well know and VZW did not block me from DL the update to my phone. Also if you trade your phone in for a used one to help solve the reboot problem(before the fix) VZW asked that you do not update the phone. If they could block you from updating why ask you to do this??

As for blocking people that did not get the Reboot bug I have it and STILL DO, I need this update as my phone shuts off or reboots 2-3 times a day on a good day MORE on a not so good day. So A) Why would VZW block me from the Update if my phone is Rebooting and needs it B) Why if they can block Phones from Updating a bad update did they let me weeks after it was out and well know, OR tell people NOT to update when they swapped out there phones to solve the problem before the update Fix was sent.

If You ask me you got a Rep That was Talking out of there.. Well you can guess confused the first Update with the most recent one and gave you not only bad info but false info as well.

Sorry guys just dose not add up I'm planning to see if I can get some answers today I let you know what Fairy Tale VZW Reps tell me maybe ill actually get a fix...

0 Likes