Can I activate an HTC Thunderbolt without changing my plan?
wendydayfuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a Droid X2 that went for a swim so I'm looking to replace it. I still have unlimited data and do not want to lose it because that's all I really ever use. I want to get a HTC Thunderbolt but I will need a SIM card which I didn't need with the X2. Will this change anything about my phone plan? Will I need to sign a new contract and lose all that wonderful data? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Plan change?
wendydayfuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone that replied! I have spoken with my local Verizon store and I can get a phone and bring it in and get the SIM card free and not change a thing about my plan. I knew if I upgraded I would lose the unlimited data and that's the one thing I want to keep the same. Again thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can keep your data plan ONLY if you pay for your new phone out right.   If you take discount, you will lose the plan.    Since new smart phones are $500 - $800 dollars, I hope you saved your money.

0 Likes
wendydayfuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was going to buy one on Ebay. Would that effect it?

0 Likes
Not applicable

wendydayfuller wrote:

I currently have a Droid X2 that went for a swim so I'm looking to replace it. I still have unlimited data and do not want to lose it because that's all I really ever use. I want to get a HTC Thunderbolt but I will need a SIM card which I didn't need with the X2. Will this change anything about my phone plan? Will I need to sign a new contract and lose all that wonderful data? Thanks in advance!

You can't sign a new contract and keep unlimited data. You also can't get a subsidized upgrade either. You can either pay full price for a phone or get a used one from a friend or family member or buy it off ebay or something. All you should have to do is go to a Verizon store and get a SIM card and activate the phone. You didn't make any changes to your plan so you shouldn't lose your unlimited data but I would double and triple check that at the store.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No that won't effect it. That's no different than getting one forma friend. Just make sure the ESN is clean before buying. Frankly I've heard one too many horror stories about people buying used phones from ebay to do it myself.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Make sure that it is a Verizon branded phone that you buy.  And make sure that the seller ensures that it is not blocked or otherwise blacklisted.

Then as noted, you will need a SIM card which you can get for free at a Verizon corporate store or from Verizon Customer Service. 

This process will not change your unlimited data.

0 Likes
wendydayfuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone that replied! I have spoken with my local Verizon store and I can get a phone and bring it in and get the SIM card free and not change a thing about my plan. I knew if I upgraded I would lose the unlimited data and that's the one thing I want to keep the same. Again thank you!

0 Likes