Battery Life on The HTC Thunderbolt
eyeman22

Is this normal that my battery life charge last approx 5 hours. I charge it every night, unplug it around 7:00 Am and by noon, it's half full. I know it must be apps running in the background but what can they be. I shut off Bluetooth and Wifi when i am not using it and GPS and maps are always off.

0 Likes
Re: Battery Life on The HTC Thunderbolt
Wildman
Legend

Did you disable 4G, it is the biggest power hog normally and its wise to disable it and turn it on when needed if you are in a 4g area.   Also I have to admit that I believe they used a low quality stock battery because if you notice even with bump charging the battery usually drops a couple of precents as soon as the power cord is unplugged.

I perfer the extended battery, its a bit big but after you get use to it you will see its a must have item for any device, these devices do to much to not notice a large power drain. 

0 Likes
benda18

Spend $6.50 on Tasker and create a profile that turns mobile data off when your screen is off, (and on when your screen is on).  From a battery life perspective it's comparable to keeping your phone in airplane mode when not in use.  It keeps the phone from transmitting background data when you're not using your phone - and thus draining your battery for no good reason.  The worst part of the TBolt is seeing your battery go from 100% to 50% wihtout even using it. 

I use between 2GB and 6GB of data per month and can't remember the last time I worried about my battery  not making it through the day.

The only downside is that you won't get email or other data-driven notifications any longer.  I rarely miss the feature. 

I live / work in a 4GLTE city. 

0 Likes
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1
Although I use and highly recommend multiple batteries and a Seidio Multi-function battery charger, my average charge times (even with the phone itself versus the Seidio charger) for the standard battery are about 3-4 hours and the extended 5-6 hours. Your times may vary though.

From my experience though (see below), I disagree that turning off LTE makes a difference as long as you're in a strong signal area (3G or LTE). I'm not rooted and always run a stock system. The screen is set to auto brightness with a timeout of 30 seconds, no live wallpaper and just a few active widgets (weather/clock app on the home screen and a couple on other screens). Syncing is minimized to just one Gmail account and the weather app default of every 3 hours (all other app syncing is turned off or on demand). Also, I don’t use any type of battery saver app and keep stand alone GPS and Wi-Fi turned off (never use Wi-Fi anyway, but turn on GPS only as needed, then turn off again). All-in-all, the only time I really experience higher battery drain is when USING the phone a lot, which is to be expected.

I'm actually getting slightly better battery life now that LTE has been turned on where I live. I'm thinking because the LTE signal around here is stronger than it was on 3G, so the phone doesn't waste battery trying to hold the signal/connection. Since LTE was turned on Oct. 13 the phone has NOT dropped a data connection once! I experienced the same back in June when spending a week in Denver, again in strong, full LTE areas. As such, I’m convinced that LTE itself doesn’t cause higher battery drain. It's more about the signal and how much the phone may struggle to hold it and/or switch between LTE/3G/1x.
0 Likes
Martinco

I use Juice Defender Ultimate and Advanced taskiller pro.  It has greatly increased my battery life.  The task app the previous poster spoke of sounds like a great solution too.

0 Likes
Lt-Belspur
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Rezound Battery will fit in the Thunderbolt. It's a 1620mah. Better then the stock Thunderbolt battery.

I can get over a day on my stock Thunderbolt battery. Oops forgot I am

{edit for TOS violation}

0 Likes
SeaJohn

Ditto on the Rezound battery.  I'm seeing an extra couple of hours by using it.  

It's also on sale for $19.99 right now.

0 Likes
spagna

I disable GPS and WIFI and have the display down to 1/3.

I was getting about 12 hours out of the battery (1700 maH).

Recently, I've been getting less than 9 hours.

I just looked at the Settings->About phone->Battery->Battery use and it shows the Dialer has consumed 43% of the battery utilization. Here's the question: I haven't made or received a call today, so why is the Dialer using so much of the battery?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Likes
PixelDust

12 hours?  I'd be thrilled with 12 hours.  I've got my services down to skeleton (ask me again why I've got a smart phone if I can't get any of the benefits?  Thanks HTC and Verizon!).  Background data turned off, GPS off, wifi off, display is on dim... and still I get about 10 hours with no use, 6 hours with moderate phone use, and about 2 hours with email or other functions that use display.  My laptop gets better life out of its battery.  I won't even go into the mis-sent texts (since corrected), connectivity issues, missed texts, etc.... I'm on my second phone and have effectively done 3 hard reboots.   Not exactly a productive use of my time.  I've been with Verizon for 9 years and never thought I'd want to switch to another carrier - now I do.  I liked my bberry just fine, but never thought I'd miss my blackberry once I got my droid phone.  And I do.  It worked.  And I had more than a day of battery life.  The Verizon/HTC Tbolt makes me yearn for an entirely new wireless existence.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Have you looked at the graph to see WHAT is using the battery?

MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>BATTERY>BATTERY USE

Also what is your Up Time compared to your Awake Time???

0 Likes