Backup Assistant Won't Backup Google Contacts
ArizonaTraveler

My wife and I just switched from AT&T to VZW, and from iPhones to Android (Thunderbolt and Incredible, respectively).  Our contacts sync with our Google Contacts normally, but the VZW Backup Assistant only wants to backup contacts that were created on the phone.  Is there a way to configure Backup Assistant to backup all contacts, not just those stored in the phone's internal memory?  Synching with Google Contacts is good, but I'd like to have a secondary backup, if possible.

If I go to People and backup the contacts to the SIM, will Backup Assistant recognize them?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Assistant Won't Backup Google Contacts
AZSALUKI
Legend

there is a way to export your "google contacts" to a file and then import them to the "phone's contacts" and then backup assistant will back them up (if you don;t get more responses to this thread, then go to the incredible forum and search "transfer phone contacts to google" or something similar). i did this when i had the incredible. HOWEVER.....i ended up with duplicates of all contacts. i'm not sure if one contact can be a "phone" contact and a "google" contact. i left it as i didn't really mind having the duplicates because i liked the idea of having 2 backups. i now only use google though. when i got my tbolt i only imported the google contacts and then added a few phone contacts that weren't in google. that was the other problem.....when you create a phone list of contacts AND a google list, then it will ask you each time you add a contact if you are adding it to your phone's contacts or google. i now find it much more simple to just use google. i could be completely wrong though, and maybe there's a way for it to do both without 2 seperate lists of contacts??????

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there is a way to export your "google contacts" to a file and then import them to the "phone's contacts" and then backup assistant will back them up (if you don;t get more responses to this thread, then go to the incredible forum and search "transfer phone contacts to google" or something similar). i did this when i had the incredible. HOWEVER.....i ended up with duplicates of all contacts. i'm not sure if one contact can be a "phone" contact and a "google" contact. i left it as i didn't really mind having the duplicates because i liked the idea of having 2 backups. i now only use google though. when i got my tbolt i only imported the google contacts and then added a few phone contacts that weren't in google. that was the other problem.....when you create a phone list of contacts AND a google list, then it will ask you each time you add a contact if you are adding it to your phone's contacts or google. i now find it much more simple to just use google. i could be completely wrong though, and maybe there's a way for it to do both without 2 seperate lists of contacts??????

0 Likes
Chigger23

Ok Shoot me but that didn't really help. 

I am having the same problem - the only contacts that sync from the phone - to the verizon backup assistant online -  are the ones I have manually put into the phone.   

I get you can yada yada yada - download your google contacts into a PST or whatever file - and I could do that - but I already have them in google - so i guess what i am saying is that - i really want the phone to work the way it is supposed to,,,,,, but I also realize that it is more than likely something I am doing wrong - or not doing. 

Thanks

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if you get that you can yada yada yada, then you get that that is what you will have to do. think of them as two seperate accounts. one account is the contacts you have entered in "google", and the other is the contacts you have entered into "phone." you will either have to consolidate them, or they will always be seperate. i believe you will notice that when you go to "add a contact" it will ask you if you want to add it to the phone contacts or to google. these are 2 seperate accounts. you can either use one or the other.....or, you have to add that contact to BOTH places everytime you add a contact. at least, this is my understanding. so i moved everything to google and only use it now. verizon doesn't backup the google account and google doesn't back up the verizon account.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am quite happy with having all my contacts under Google. I had never used BA with my old flip phone until I ordered my first smartphone, Droid Eris. I used BA to get the contacts off the flip phone. The Droid Eris didn't and still doesn't support BA so I had to export all the contacts from BA and into Google. Since then I have factory reset the Eris, been forcibly switched to AT&T (HTC Aria) and ported myself back to Verizon (Tbolt). Every single contact that was saved to Google has followed me through reactiving phones, new phones. All I had to do was sign into my Google account, sync and had my contacts. I do have alternative backups for just in case, but I feel comfortable with Google holding the contacts for my main list.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes