Back to having multiple copies of text message being sent
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I've AGAIN started having multiple "copies" of the SINGLE text message being sent to the recipient (:smileymad:) This is not only annoying to the recipient but uses my allotted text messaging (250 in my case) 2 to 5 times faster than it should :smileymad:

I think I "correct" it by: powering down, battery pull, SIM reseating, SD card reseating, bla bla bla... I am in full RED 4G coverage :smileyvery-happy: per the map, have wifi and Bluetooth off, am using Handcent as my SMS (since day 1), and have no newly downloaded apps. This happens on & off Verizon's network (tested to my wife's Verizon iPhone 4 when it happened this AM and she got multiples)

I emailed Verizon support and will post their "solution"It would also be nice if Verizon would release a Thunderbolt version of MyVerizon for us "stock" owners, especially if this problem doesn't get resolved permanently:smileysad:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Back to having multiple copies of text message being sent
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Handcent wasn't ( or at least it doesn't ) seem to have been the problem, Tech's in Houston and Tennessee worked with me on this and could see the multiple sending before and them stopping after I did the "emergency stop" (pulled the battery to power off and essentially kill the loop my phone was stuck in). The problem hasn't reoccurred since, but then again it didn't reoccur for a month last time. So for now I'm fixed (hopefully)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

RobB772 wrote:

I've AGAIN started having multiple "copies" of the SINGLE text message being sent to the recipient (:smileymad:) This is not only annoying to the recipient but uses my allotted text messaging (250 in my case) 2 to 5 times faster than it should :smileymad:

I think I "correct" it by: powering down, battery pull, SIM reseating, SD card reseating, bla bla bla... I am in full RED 4G coverage :smileyvery-happy: per the map, have wifi and Bluetooth off, am using Handcent as my SMS (since day 1), and have no newly downloaded apps. This happens on & off Verizon's network (tested to my wife's Verizon iPhone 4 when it happened this AM and she got multiples)

I emailed Verizon support and will post their "solution"It would also be nice if Verizon would release a Thunderbolt version of MyVerizon for us "stock" owners, especially if this problem doesn't get resolved permanently:smileysad:

If it is true that you are getting charged for all the repeat texts sent it makes me wonder if some people have been charged for overages on their text messages??? This could give lawyers a case for a class action law suit against htc and or verizon because they know they have thousands of devices out there and continue to sell them with the software that is causing this issue. On top of that they continue to drag their feet on an update. I guess they're lucky I have an unlimited plan....

0 Likes
Not applicable

I can see how this is frustrating for you, and with a limit to your text messages, I am sure this adds to it.  My recommendation: Rule out the 3rd party software causing the problem.  Remove Handscent entirely from you phone.  You can always re-install it later if the issue persists.  Working in Tech Support, I have had customers where Handscent sends a text message every second for hours at a time!  What causes this?  This is one of the trade-offs when working with open development: It's up to the developer to find out. I am not one to quickly point the finger and say it's Handscent's fault, but that is definitely a possibility. 

In a nutshell, remove Handscent.  If the issue subsides, you know what the cause was.  You can install it again and see if the issues come back.  Sometimes uninstalling and re-installing will fix the problem too, but try using our stock texting app to see if it happens after removing Handscent. 

Let us know what happens!

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

MikeS_VZW wrote:

I can see how this is frustrating for you, and with a limit to your text messages, I am sure this adds to it.  My recommendation: Rule out the 3rd party software causing the problem.  Remove Handscent entirely from you phone.  You can always re-install it later if the issue persists.  Working in Tech Support, I have had customers where Handscent sends a text message every second for hours at a time!  What causes this?  This is one of the trade-offs when working with open development: It's up to the developer to find out. I am not one to quickly point the finger and say it's Handscent's fault, but that is definitely a possibility. 

In a nutshell, remove Handscent.  If the issue subsides, you know what the cause was.  You can install it again and see if the issues come back.  Sometimes uninstalling and re-installing will fix the problem too, but try using our stock texting app to see if it happens after removing Handscent. 

Let us know what happens!

P.S. I don't use handsent ( think it's garbage ) and have had the same problem twice. Two different contacts one a Dinc on VZW and one a iphone 3 on ATT and both said **bleep** I got it why are you sending me repeat messages?... 

BTW got my first replacement Thunderbolt got "hardware" issues and VZW's standards for a certified replacement a a bit low. The trim piece below the screen is falling off the there is light coming through between the home and menu buttons... Qualty

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Handcent wasn't ( or at least it doesn't ) seem to have been the problem, Tech's in Houston and Tennessee worked with me on this and could see the multiple sending before and them stopping after I did the "emergency stop" (pulled the battery to power off and essentially kill the loop my phone was stuck in). The problem hasn't reoccurred since, but then again it didn't reoccur for a month last time. So for now I'm fixed (hopefully)

0 Likes
rwssoccer1

RobB772 wrote:

I had the same issue the day after i got the phone which was 2 days after it came out...The verizon tech said this was a known issue where the antennas inside the phone would not cooperate with eachother basically meaning they would tell eachother which one was going to send the msg so they all sent the msg..idk if this is correct but this is what they said lol

0 Likes