Automatic Brightness Setting
Raul_1775
I have read that it is better to set the Thunderbolt screen brightness to about 40% to save battery life. Does anyone know if I am better off just leaving it on automatic since the phone would adjust to a lower light setting when needed?
0 Likes
Re: Automatic Brightness Setting
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Raul_1775 wrote:
I have read that it is better to set the Thunderbolt screen brightness to about 40% to save battery life. Does anyone know if I am better off just leaving it on automatic since the phone would adjust to a lower light setting when needed?

You can test this yourself by using each setting, and going into your Battery Manager to see which uses more battery. On my X, however, I haven't noticed that the Automatic setting uses anymore battery than if I set it myself. I'm sure the TBolt is different, but I can't imagine it would be drastically different.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Everyone probably has different feelings and preferences on this. I have mine set a 25% inside and turn it up to 100% if I need to use it outside. I know 25% sounds pretty low, but it's really looks fine indoors. Automatic should be fine, anything is better than leaving it on 100% all of the time and having it eat your battery. I just prefer more control and knowing what the setting is instead of leaving it up to the auto adjust and not knowing what % it's at. That's one of the great things about Android. I actually have a little control over my phone now. There are a lot of brightness adjustment apps and widgets in the Market. This is the one I use: http://https://market.android.com/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.brightnesslevel&feature=search_re...

Just an edit to agree with vereyezuhn. I doubt that the automatic setting uses any more battery or memory than one of the apps or widgets, I just have more control with the app.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I keep my brightness at either 0% or 15% while indoors. It is quite bright enough for me.

I also use this brightness application for pre-programmed brightness settings. I also keep the app is same position so much so that I can change the brightness level in full sun from 0% to 50% or 75% just with a couple of taps.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.angrydoughnuts.android.brightprof

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Ann, I like that one. It gives me even more control than the one I was using.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
I use one of the stock htc widgets. It's a 5x1 and has brightness, time out, auto sync, bluetooth, and a wifi toggle. The brightness does 33%, 66%, and 100%. I leave it at 66% nearly always. The widget is handy with the wifi toggle. And when you're running low on juice you can dim the screen and decrease the screen timeout with a couple taps.
0 Likes
Raul_1775
Thanks everyone for your advice... Although it is nice to have control over your phone, I kind of like the the set and forget option of auto brightness. I'm on my third day since I set my phone on auto brightness and have not noticed any significant change in battery life. I will keep monitoring - thanks!
0 Likes