4G Hotspot difference between Thunderbolt & Rezound
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

After having so much trouble with the 4G hotspot on my TBolt, I went to my Verizon store and got the Rezound to try out. I left the TBolt active so I could compare them side by side. To recap, I originally got the TBolt to tether to my laptop at work, but for the last 2-3 months the 4G connection has become almost nonexistent, mostly getting either 3G, 1x, or nothing at all.

For the last two days, I've been using both phones side by side, tethered to my laptop and just switching the laptop connection between them. This is what I've discovered so far.

1. Connection:

TBolt: Will show a 4G icon in the status bar, but it about half the time, it seems to be asleep and won't connect to anything, just giving me the Network not available message.

Rezound: Has had a very steady and stable 4G signal for two days. It does drop the signal to 3G occasionally, but it is easy to get the 4G connection back. When it shows the 4G icon in the status bar, it is is really an active connection and responds when I click on a website.

2. Speed:

TBolt: For some reason, even when it does connect with 4G, it is very slow. If not tethered to the laptop, the 4G speed is as fast as expected, but when tethered to the laptop, it slows down a lot.

Rezound: Just as fast when tethered as it is when not tethered. When tethered, connecting to websites is 2 to 3 times faster with the Rezound. There is a very noticeable difference between the two.

Connection Differences: For some reason, when they do drop the 4G signal, it is not at the same time. If one drops the 4G signal, the other will stay connected to 4G. Also, when the Rezound drops 4G, it only goes to 3G. The TBolt drops to 1x, or nothing at all.

I don't know if the difference in the antennas might make a difference or not. Most of the phone information may not be important and I don't know how to interpret the differences in the different versions, but if someone does and wants to compare all of the numbers, let me know. The Rezound has screen capture, but the TBolt doesn't so I'll have to type most of the info.

Phone Info: 

Hardware: Both have Hardware Version 0002. Aside from the difference in the processor and memory, not much I can see that I think would have much affect, but I'm far from an expert.

Software:

TBolt: Android 2.3.4, Rezound: Android 2.3.4

HTC Sense:

TBolt: 2.1, Rezound: 3.5

Each has different software numbers, Kernel versions (The TBolt's is newer), Baseband Versions, and Build numbers. Browser versions are both WebKit/533.1

The PRI Versions are different, but the PRL Versions are both 15098 and ERI Versions both 5.

Sorry this is so long, but if anyone is having the same problems with the 4G connection on your TBolt that I was, you might consider trying the Rezound and see if it helps your situation.

0 Likes