4.3 Update Removes GPS-only as Location Provider
justanothermike

Verizon pushed a customized Android 4.3 JellyBean update recently that takes away your ability to use the standalone GPS on your phone as a standalone GPS and requires you to pay for location service. I am very, very, upset about this.

Verizon combined the location setting to use GPS location along with the setting to use Verizon Network location. They can no longer be turned on and off separately. Oh, BTW, the Verizon Network location service traffic is charged to your data plan. So, you cannot have location services without paying Verizon.

ADDING insult to injury, the Google Maps app now no longer works without the "Google Wi-Fi & Mobile network location" being activated, and that no longer works unless Wi-Fi is ON. It used to be possible (and still is technically possible) to let the Wi-Fi chip sniff for nearby access points without broadcasting and announcing your identify to every passive listener in the area, but that ability is not enabled.

If you look at the feature list for Jelly Bean 4.3 on the Android site, the major Location feature that they discuss is the ability to use WiFi location without leaving WiFi on all the time. Not on Verizon! On Verizon you have to enable Google WiFi location AND mobile network location TOGETHER, AND you have to consent to your location be shared. Without it, Maps DOES NOT WORK.

Bottom line: You are no longer allowed to keep your location to yourself, even though you have a GPS receiver in your phone. If you want your location, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SHARE IT WITH GOOGLE, AND YOU ARE ALSO REQUIRED TO PAY VERIZON TO GET IT.

PLEASE TELL ME, AM I WRONG? DO YOU SEE A WAY TO ENABLE THE GPS BY ITSELF?

If not, DEMAND BETTER! DEMAND VERIZON REVERT TO STANDALONE GPS CAPABILITY DELIVERED WITH THE PHONE AS YOU PURCHASED IT!

0 Likes