3G Connectivity with ThunderBolt
steven5424

Should I still be having problems with 3G conectivity on my ThunderBolt? I only have 3G at my house, and my phone keeps dropping it and I have no data service at all, not even 1X, before the 4G outage, the 3G was solid.

I do have 4G at my work, and the phone was using 4G Thursday and Friday there, but when I get home the 3G keeps going in and out and when it's out the phone shows "network error". I am located in the Akron Ohio area.

Is Verizon still working on issues?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 3G Connectivity with ThunderBolt
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for your feed back about not having 3G service in your area. In bkthomson's post, the location was not specified. So, it would hard to check and see if there are service issues. At the time of this response, overall we are not experiencing service issues. A suggestion would be to power off and on your device to see if it restores the service to the phone. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JaySean
Contributor - Level 1

I have been having problems since before the outage. The radio will switch from 4G to 3G so much the battery would die out fast. I do get 4G but it cuts out a lot and bounces from 4g to 3g constantly. Whenever I browse the internet or go to the android market I get 'a network error has occurred'.

An update was released yesterday that should be pushed out to all thunderbolt owners that promises to fix the 3g issues so lets hope.At this point I can't get my work done because of data issues. I know Verizon/htc released this phone to please customers who were getting fed up of waiting so I guess now we have to deal with the issues.But I can't say its a bad phone.

Lets hope they push some updates out to fix the bugs, otherwise I'll just go back to my trusty DROID X.

steven5424 wrote:

Should I still be having problems with 3G conectivity on my ThunderBolt? I only have 3G at my house, and my phone keeps dropping it and I have no data service at all, not even 1X, before the 4G outage, the 3G was solid.

I do have 4G at my work, and the phone was using 4G Thursday and Friday there, but when I get home the 3G keeps going in and out and when it's out the phone shows "network error". I am located in the Akron Ohio area.

Is Verizon still working on issues?

Thanks.

0 Likes
omegajb

I'm having the same problem, I thought it was only in 3G coverage areas but it's been happening in 4G areas over the last couple of days.

I called support and they didn't mention anything about the update,they gave me the work around when 4G was down but it locks it in 3G and I couldn;'t get that to work either. I found if I reeboot it works for awhile.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
Same problem here.it was great before them outage. Then yesterday and today I couldnt get anything. Its been workimg again though tonight?
0 Likes
blav

I am in a 4GLTE area.  During the outage I first only had 1X speed.  Then 3G came back online.  I had to rebood my phone in order to get 4GLTE coverage restored.  If you leave you phone on all the time (even when charging it) you may need to reboot after the outage to get the phone to start acting normally.  In fact, any time the phone looks like it is acting up, I find that rebooting it solves the problem. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
steven5424

I have re-booted the phone several times, including completely removing the battery with no effect. I have noticed that if I have no data service, I can go into settings - wireless & networks and uncheck the Mobile Network and then re-check it, the phone will immediately connect to 3G, but then still drop it randomly after that. Repeating the above proceedure will again re-connect, (until it decides to drop it again), but I don't want to keep having to do this.

0 Likes
jenn571
Enthusiast - Level 3

YES!!!  I have the flakey 3G service too!!  It ALLLL started right after the 4G outage.  Before the outage, I had a perfect phone with perfect 3G data service, exactly what VZW prides itself with. Now at times, the connection will just fail and I'll have to reboot to get it back on and I do not want to keep doing this when I know my phone use to have perfect 3G service.  Also, I've done the *#*#4636#*#* and chose CDMA auto for 3G only since I don't recieve 4G in my town.  I've been doing this since I got my phone a few days after release day. I really hope they know that this is happening and are trying to find a soulution.  I can honestly say that I do not have faith in my 3G connection with VZW. 

0 Likes
r84541

In Columbus here, just watched my Thunderbolt go from 4G, 3G, 1X, no data, 4G, no data, 1X, 3G, 4G... All while simply sitting on my desk idle.

Did a few reboots, pulled the battery, reseated the SIM card, no luck. I hope that update hits the air soon and corrects this issue.

No problems before the major outage. It's getting to the point where the phone is just unreliable for general use. Very frustrating. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

It seems there have been quite some issues with 4G switching to 3G but getting stuck at 3G.  Sometimes data cuts out altogether.  There was a software update to eliminate this problem which I would definitely suggest doing for improved service. See instructions in this link: http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html

Let us know if the update helped with the problems.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Hi Mike.  Can you edit your post to remove that last period from the link (behind the 'l').  The link doesn't work with that period there, but it works fine if you copy and paste the link to your address bar, then remove the period.

0 Likes