Highlighted

palm pre plus / ipad

btc624

I am thinking about purchasing a new ipad.  I cannot get at&t coverage where i live so the 3g model would be useless to me. My contract with verizon is up and plan to upgrade my phone to a palm pre plus.  I love the idea of the wi-fi hotspot but here lies the question. I never purchased a data plan before and my friends say you will use up 5gb fast if you watch you tube etc, but  as I understand it when i'm using the wifi hotspot feature on this phone  its not counted as data toward my 5gb per month on the phone data plan itself correct??????   I hope this is the case  becaue if it is that would be great because i could purchase the wi-fi only version of the ipad and use my wireless home connection via my computer but on the go use the pre plus hotspot.  Do I have this right????????

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: palm pre plus / ipad

btc624

23 views and no reply??????  guess i'll look elsewhere

0 Likes

btc624

23 views and no reply??????  guess i'll look elsewhere

0 Likes

oldgeekster
Novice

Don't know about other folks, but I've been enjoying my Friday evening rather than posting in this forum - suspect most have been doing the same since this very arena has been discussed through this past week.

Have a peek at the thread just a couple before your own:

Is this considered unlimited? ??

The bottom line is that your friends are correct and your assumption is not valid.  While you have mobile Hotspot activated (read "turned ON"), any and all data sent to your phone goes against the free 5 GB amount provided by Verizon with that App - that includes data drawn by the Apps ON your phone too if used while mobile Hotspot is turned on.

5 gigs may seem like a lot to people, but I was once a Web Presence Provider, running my own servers/services and can tell you it is NOT a lot if lots of image files/videos are being sent to your (intended) iPad.  Have been trying to test how "expensive", (in terms of the amount of data downloaded), something like simply browsing around various youtube videos (streams) or watching a video on NFL.com can be.  Haven't finished yet - but think I will be somewhat astonished when I can actually see the results of my "playing" on my MyVerizon account.

Conversely, just as it was before there was such a thing as the World Wide Web, text is still "cheap".  One can do a LOT of text/eMail across the Internet without putting to big a dent in 5 Gigs - however, you start sharing images and file attachments along with that textual content and it will balloon dramatically.

When you reach that 5GB limit, and start surpassing it, Verizon will add 5 cents per gigabyte to your bill.  Ask yourself this "how did the user in the complaint linked to above run up $200 of additional charges?" Pretty darned easily IMO.

I will stick with my Internet Service Provider for normal use - and when I take the grandkids camping and they want to access the Internet with their iPod Touch/etc. they will be allowed to - but NO watching movies/videos will be allowed.  THEN I have to remember to turn mobile HOTSPOT back OFF when they are done.  Inadvertently leaving it ON and unnecessarily running up a bill is my fear - and doing so would be just like me at this age. MEGA-SIGH!  I love my little Palm Pre Plus, but I most certainly didn't buy it for mobile Hotspot.

0 Likes

oldgeekster
Novice

Good Heavens, I shouldn't be allowed to type in here so late at night....

Obviously I "meant" to say 5 cents per MEGABYTE not gig. (blush) :smileysad:

0 Likes

bosslady85

When using wifi hot spot, there is a 5 gigabyte allowance.

0 Likes