Highlighted

Re: WebOS 1.4.5.1 roll-out requests!

Novice

George2010a wrote:

Shayonte,

If by "we" you mean Verizon, then that is obviously not true.  Verizon obviously knows whether they are actively working towards implementing the update.  If by "we" you mean the subgroup within Verizon that you work for, then pick up the phone, call someone who knows and let us know!

After the numerous posts asking the same question, in numerous threads, without an answer, We get more of the same, Verizon has had this update over a month, but yet they still play the same games they do with the Blackberry customers. They are ALWAYS Last. (Pitiful Software Department) and when they do give you an answer, they blow smoke up your keester like "We'll check into that", Or "As soon as we know, we will let ya know". I have a better suggestion, Pickup a phone and call the Software Department and tell them the CUSTOMER wants to know what's the hold up! Then LET US KNOW!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Just adding my name to the list of customers who want the software update...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Although I also want to get to the new apps the missing update allows, I am also concerned about the security hole that is supposed to be fixed with this update.  Consider the following quote from PreCentral.net:

"Firm MWR Infosecurity claims to have discovered a vulnerability in webOS that would allow an attacker to create a specially crafted SMS message that would allow them to "subvert webOS completely."  Once the attacker gains control, the phone's microphone could be utilized to record and transmit whatever is picked up around it."--you can read the whole article at http://www.precentral.net/webos-sms-exploit-revealed

Perhaps most troubling is that even though Palm is quoted in the article as saying the current (implied 1.4.5) update fixes this flaw we have still not even heard from Verizon on this issue.  This news hit PreCentral on August 12, the day after 1.4.5 had been released on Sprint.  In my mind this makes the issue of the AWOL update about much more than being able to play Angry Birds. 

I do not believe one word of the "We don't have any information from Palm" bit that Verizon is trying to pass off on us right now.  1.4.5 was announced MONTHS ago.  Sprint and apparently some international carriers have released it already.  I even had a Verizon employee talk to me about it in a store several weeks ago.  

My fear now is that my phone will never see 2.0 since it will likely be released after Verizon discontinues the Pre this fall. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I agree 100%, us Pre users will be lucky to see 2.0 at all on Verizon. I came from the Blackberry to the Pre, (Love the Pre and WebOs) But my Blackberries NEVER ran a Verizon Software Release. They were always Bootleg Or other Carriers releases with the vendor files deleted. Why you ask, Because Verizon wouldn't release the updates in a timely manner, "We're still evaluating the software" Would be their reply. And this would be 1 to 2 MONTHS after the others had the update. On my Storm1 They NEVER released 416 on Verizon, even though it fixed numerous bugs in the current Verizon version. This is strictly My Opinion, But, Customer Service is Great, Coverage is Great, Phones are Good, But the Whole Software Evaluation Department Should be kicked to the curb, There is absolutely NO excuse for not releasing 2 Weeks after receiving the update from the vender, If you can't debug it in two weeks, you need to find another job period.!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon just doesn't get it.  They still think they are providing phones and that phones are all about making voice phone calls.  They have not figured out that smartphones are the way of the future and that for many people, once they get a smartphone, making voice phone calls is now secondary

In order to serve this new and growing customer base a carrier needs to be first in supporting smartphone applications.  From the carrier standpoint this means making sure the operating system is up-to-date and the interfaces between the application and the hardware (gps, camera, etc) work properly.  That's really all they have to do!  Generally and thankfully, 3rd parties do all the heavy lifting by developing thousands of applications that make the phones worthwhile.  If the carrier does it's job then everybody is happy. 

The problem is VERIZON does not hold up their part of the smartphone support structure.  Others have detailed the Blackberry experience here so let's look at Palm on the 3 major carriers.

Sprint with the best support has the latest version of the operating system so their users can utilize all of the newest applications and security. All hardware interfaces work properly.

AT&T is second as they are still on the previous version of the operating system, but at least they got the hardware interfaces right.

VERIZON is dead last not only being on the previous version of the operating system, but also screwing up the interface with the GPS to the point where hundreds of GPS dependent applications do not work properly. 

If VERIZON doesn't start supporting smartphones properly, it won't happen overnight, but over time they won't be the #1 carrier anymore!

I had an idea as I was writing this.  It probably does not do much good posting this here.  I'm going to look into posting a cleaned up version of this on forums that follow telecommunications stocks for investment purposes. I'm not sure that the people who follow those boards would consider this a major problem.  However, if they do, and if VERIZON's investor relations department thinks their stock price might be impacted by their disregard for the needs of smartphone users, I'm sure that would get some big-time action not only for us but for all smartphones!

I don't want this to seem like I'm anti VERIZON, I'm not.  I wish them all the success in the world, but I don't see how spending a large fortune on fancy ads to sell smartphones, then giving the new smartphone customer a crappy experience by not having the common sense to spend just a few dollars on supporting the operating system is good business.  If VERIZON would wake up and realize they could easily make their smartphone customers very happy by being #1 in smartphone operating system support then VERIZON would really have an advantage in the marketplace!  What I want is to see VERIZON get with the smartphone program and support smartphones as they should be supported.  In the long run that's the only way they will survive, because if they don't, for sure someone else will!

0 Likes
Highlighted

sHaY_j wrote:

Currently we do not have any information on the WebOS update for any Palm devices Once we get additional information we will let you guys know. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

This is utter nonsense. They had the update for the Pixi Plus, so obviously they had some information on WebOS updates. I think the left and right hands at Verizon have no clue what the other is doing. It's ridiculous.

I have to wonder, though, if this has anything to do with what Precentral reported earlier, about Verizon phasing out the Pre Plus at the end of October. Maybe they don't want to bother with updating a phone they are planning to eliminate. If so, that is very bad customer service in my book. Enough so that I will have to consider switching carriers if they don't put the update out soon.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

And still no response from the powers at hand. HEY VERIZON! CAN YA HEAR US NOW!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is just crazy, Sprint anyone?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

missedout wrote:

This is just crazy, Sprint anyone?

Verizon – Palm Relations Hit New Low as webOS 1.4.5 in Doubt for Pre Plus | PhoneNews.com 

Don't anyone hold their breath on Verizon, Check this article out.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Send Verizon an Email asking Where is webOS update 1.4.5

Not applicable

Send your comments to Verizon here:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/email.jsp

Post a link back to this thread for them to read.

Stick to one topic:  OS 1.4.5 or OS 2.0, don't add in other complaints about GPS or anything else, they will take it less seriously if appears to be a scree about all things Verizon.

The issue is not that they should give us an exact date, but they do owe us some sort of comment.

Take your replies and post them up on this thread.

0 Likes