Highlighted

Palm Treo Pro Now Available - but is it a secret

martyge1

I have just learned by talking to a Verizon Customer Service Rep today that the Palm Treo Pro is now available on the Verizon Network.  They have it listed in their equipment list as Palm Treo Pro 850

Two issues however:

1.  The phone is only available for business accounts

2.  The best price available is an outrageous $399

I have been waiting forever for Verizon to get this device so that I can replace my Palm 700w.  I'm not interested in the Pre or Pixi Plus models because neither of them include a voice dial feature.

Additional input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Palm Treo Pro Now Available - but is it a secret

Moorej

Yep, I can confirm this.  I've talked to three different Verizon reps on separate occasions -- each one of them had to go ask a supervisor because they were confused by what they saw on the system. They each had no idea the phone even existed or that they could offer it.  But when they did find it, just as you said: $399 asking price, corporate customers only.

I too am still using my Treo 700w, but it is admittedly getting a bit beat up.  The fact, though, that I have had it for over three years and it has been essentially bulletproof makes me want basically the exact same phone (just a new version) all that much more.  I too do not want the Pre or Pixi.

The Treo Pro 850w is exactly precisely the phone I want.  I gotta admit to being pretty baffled by Verizon's approach here.  I generally love the customer service, love the phone service, love the company, etc.  But seriously, there are questions on this very forum going back to early 2009 (when the phone was released!) about this topic.  And, from what it looks like, a few lost customers.  The lack of a marketing campaign, the lack of any release advertising materials, the lack of, well, any sort of coherent answers at all . . . . I feel like I am stepping into some alternate dimension crazyland whenever I try to find out any information about this phone.

0 Likes
Highlighted

trepro1

Does this mean they will let me keep my treo pro  I bought for my alltel plan before the change over to verizon?? I'm currently still on my alltel plan and in order to change over to a verizon plan they want me to change all my phone to verizon phones including the palm treo pro.

0 Likes
Highlighted

annie1

You have to find a way to get one.....I love mine....I've had "Palm Pilots", first Palm phone for me.  It's great !  I was able to re-new on a one year contract thru my employer and the Palm Treo Pro 850 cost me $99.00.  I'm loving it !

0 Likes
Highlighted

martyge1

Annie:

How did you get the Palm Treo Pro 850 for $99.  Did you company pay the difference between the $399 Verizon price and the $99

0 Likes
Highlighted

Moorej

I GOT THE PHONE!

1.)  I have right now in my possession a brand new Treo Pro 850w. 

2.)  It is currently working with my personal (NON-business) plan.

Any Verizon rep that tells you that this phone will not work on a personal plan is either full of it or just doesn't know how to do it.  I am overjoyed and really happy with the phone, but I am now even more baffled by Verizon's lack of support/advertisement/anything.  It is a really great phone!  I highly suggest you guys keep calling as many times as you can until you find a rep who is able to do it.  It took me about six or seven tries.

A caveat: I have a corporate discount through my employer, and the awesome rep that did my order I think was able to swing it because of that.  If you can get a corporate discount somehow, you can definitely get this phone.  Not sure about non-discounted plans, but yeah.

PS seriously, Verizon?  Why should we have to share super secret tricks and tips on how to get a phone that A.) we want and B.) you have?

0 Likes
Highlighted

martyge1

I got mine also...last week.  It's a great phone...worth the 1 year wait.    :smileyhappy:

I had to talk to over 7 different verizon reps to finally get someone to acknowledge that the phone was available and to put the order through for me.  I used my company discount and saved big bucks on the purchase price of the phone (got it for under $100).

Not sure why Verizon is keeping this so low profile? 

I did read somewhere that they came across a surplus inventory of these phones when they purchased Altel.  I guess they decided to offer them only through their business network.  (However, even on the business site online, there is no mention of the phone anywhere.)

My Treo Pro doesn't even have the Verizon logo on it, even though it came in the mail directly from Verizon.  Only logo on the phone is Palm and Treo.....Go figure?

I wasn't able to purchase any accessories for the phone from Verizon either.  I had to go into a Sprint store to get what I needed.  When I access my account information online, it doesn't even list or show my Palm Treo Pro next to my primary line designation.  It does indicate the other equipment I have for the other two lines.  Curious at best!

All in all, I am a very happy camper...having to go through all of this aggravation and time to get the phone I wanted and needed, actually makes me appreciate it even more. 

The more I kept running into roadblocks, the harder I tried.   If you want this great phone and are having trouble with Verizon, don't give up.   Keep trying like I did and you will eventually succeed.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The Palm Pro is an excellent phone and it would be great to have it on the Verizon network, I wish the rep's would read this; I would be the first one to buy the Palm Pro.

0 Likes

kbsrn

Did you have to activate the mandatory data plan or can you use the pay-as-you-use kb?  Does it have wi-fi?  This is a windows based os, right?

0 Likes
Highlighted

martyge1

Yes, I had to activate the mandatory data plan, but got it at a 20% discount off the regular price of 29.95 per month with my corporate discount.

Yes it does have Wifi and it is a window's based OS.  (Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional)

0 Likes