Highlighted

Mystery data charges on Palm Centro!

TallGuy1970

My wife has a Palm Centro. For the first 8 months it worked just fine. During the past three months we keep getting data charges on her phone. She doesn't use the Internet, nor Google Maps or any other app that would require data (We have unlimited messaging, so SMS and MMS are free). In fact, some of the charges appear in the wee hours of the morning when the phone is simply sitting on the night stand being charged.

I've tried deleting all third-party apps. I've turned off every auto-update feature I can find. I've done soft and hard reset. I've called Verizon and had them check the phone. They can't find anything. Their only option is to turn off all data on the phone, which would mean no more MMS. I am stumped.

I've told her to take advantage of the one-year warranty and get a new phone. Any other options you can think of? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Re: Mystery data charges on Palm Centro!

sedude

My fiance has been having the same problems with her Palm Centro.  For over a year everything was fine and then starting in August/September all of these data charges started popping up from no where.  We have unlimited text, picture and video messaging.  Some of the charges came from picture messages that were somehow charged as data.  Other charges were in the middle of the night or when she is driving to or at work.  There is no way that she can accidentally get on the net because even if you hit the browser button, you have to give the phone permission to get on the web.  Verizon keeps insisting that the phone is connecting on its own but that is impossible since any program/application requires permission to get on. 

0 Likes

mijwadde

We have been having the same problem on my wife's CentroHad it since January and no data charges (since neither of us ever use the internet on it).  Around 3-4 months ago, the Centro quit working and we had it replaced with the Asurion insurance plan. Since then we have had 2 separate billings for data charges which neither of us have usedFirst time we called and they waived the charges and told us they placed a block on internet accessNow on this month's billing, there is another billing when neither of us have used the internetIt was waived again after I was not so indirectly called a liar about never using the internet on the phoneThe IT rep told me that there are no issues with this happening with this phone and there are no other complaints about this happening with the phoneHe then told me that now when they sell these phones you are required to buy a data planHe said this was due to people calling and complaining about data charges when they said they were not using itI pointed out that there must be a problem with the phone / service for so many people to be calling in with this complaint (like we were calling in) and again I was told that there are no problems with the phone accruing charges when not being utilized for internetI pointed out that this is EXACTLY the problem and he again told me that it was not a problemI am wondering if something was changed in the way this phone "searches" for service and connects without permission so as to coax everyone into buying a data plan if they did not already have one (since all new buyers must get one)

UPDATE: after having a permanent block placed on the internet accessing last night, this evening the phone icon showed that it was connected to broadband access.  We callled and the first rep told us that there was again a data charge (for today) and she had it deleted.  We were transferred to IT again.  The gentleman there told us that there were no data charges for today.  We asked him to talk to the lady who just told us they were wiped out and he would not call her back to confirm this even though we asked multiple times.  He just kept on saying that there were no data charges for today.

0 Likes

TallGuy1970

Good to know I am not the only one...

After months of looking at this and calling to get data charges credited, I was finally put in touch with the head of Verizon's tech department (or so I was told). He looked at all the notes in my contract made during all my previous calls, asked me a few questions about how my wife uses the phone, and told me he would get back to me.

He called me back in a few days and said my mystery data charges were tied to picture messaging. He said the IT department's best guess is that when my wife sent a picture message it opened up data connection and sent the picture. This is allowed with my unlimited messaging, but then he said the network (Verizon's network I assume) would keep trying to connect with the phone again to keep that data connection open. 

He said he would place a note in my account to automatically credit my wife's line for any data charges. These mystery connections usually amounted to less than $1 a month so it wasn't really a big deal.

So far so good!

0 Likes