Highlighted

Getting used Palm...released before Nov '08

eju218

If I buy a used Palm phone (craigslist, ebay)  ...how will I know if it's an older model that won't require a data plan?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Getting used Palm...released before Nov '08

TheGreatOne

eju218 wrote:

If I buy a used Palm phone (craigslist, ebay)  ...how will I know if it's an older model that won't require a data plan?

There are many Palm phones.Which particular model of Palm are you wanting to buy? All smart phones and PDA pones require a data plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted

eju218

I have read several places that smartphones realeased before Nov '08 do not have to have a data plan.  For instance, I used my brother's old Motorolla Q smartphone for a while...he purchased it on 2007, and I was not required to have a data plan.  I did have to put a data block on it though to ensure I didn't incur charges.

As far as the model I am looking for, I am unsure.  Like many on these boards, I am looking to carry ONE device instead of a phone AND a PDA.  I don't need web access or email or an extra $29.99 a month on my bill.

0 Likes
Highlighted

TheGreatOne

eju218 wrote:

I have read several places that smartphones realeased before Nov '08 do not have to have a data plan.  For instance, I used my brother's old Motorolla Q smartphone for a while...he purchased it on 2007, and I was not required to have a data plan.  I did have to put a data block on it though to ensure I didn't incur charges.

As far as the model I am looking for, I am unsure.  Like many on these boards, I am looking to carry ONE device instead of a phone AND a PDA.  I don't need web access or email or an extra $29.99 a month on my bill.

check out the Palm Centro. I have been reading that phone shouldn't require one

0 Likes
Highlighted

natsumikan

i have Palm Tre 650-i recently got a new phone, found i missed Palm's keyboard, try to switch my phone back and got hit by a mandatory selection of monthly data service at $49.99 per months.  seems it doesn't matter how old the make/models are so long as it was released as "smartphone"  data service ("mobile web" on this phone) and pix msg stopped working a long time ago, but i still cannnot use this phone as just a phone without paying extra, which is more than my calling plan

0 Likes
Highlighted

natsumikan

eju218 wrote:

I have read several places that smartphones realeased before Nov '08 do not have to have a data plan.  

would you share the source of this info? curious to see if this is true + contingent on having existing service at the time of mandatory data plan being introduced.

0 Likes
Highlighted

kbsrn

From other posts on the forums re: smartphones, I found:

Question: If I buy a used pda phone and activate it, do I have to have internet service on my service? Yes, if it was a phone that required data, no if it was made before the data requirement on smartphones. Requirements changed in November of 2008, and any new smartphone after the change requires data.

Any Blackberry WILL require it.
Any Palm WebOS (Pre/Pixi) will require it.
Any Palm from the Centro back to the Treo 600 will not.
Samsung i760 and previous do not; Samsung i910 (Omnia) and later will.
HTC Touch 6900 and back do not; HTC Touch Pro and forward do.
Any Android will require it.

The only Smartphones thru Verizon that don’t require a data plan are: Palm Treo, Palm Centro, Moto Q/Q9/Q9c, Samsung Sch i760/i830, VZW SMT 5800/xv6800/xv6900/PN820.

If you have a model in mind, you can use Phonescoop's phone system to determine when certain models were released, as their system is quite comprehensive. Or call Verizon Customer Service 800-922-0204. ALWAYS BEST TO CHECK BEFORE BUYING!

HTH

0 Likes
Highlighted

kbsrn

natsumikan: Were you still under contract from the other phone?  I have a Palm Treo 755p that I am still using (data blocked) and am under the impression even if I changed to a different phone (without extending contract) and then back to the Treo, I would not be required to have the data plan.  Also, aren't those the old data charges?  They don't have the $49.99 any more.  Unless you are looking at a corporate plan?

0 Likes
Highlighted

eju218

I bought a Centro last summer (2009) and had the mandatory data plan with it (of course I was unaware of this when I purchased it).

0 Likes

kbsrn

Verizon rep at local store told me today that they reserve the option to add data plans to older phones.  Be careful when buying an older model.  You might want to enter the MEID # and see what comes up for choice on data first before buying.

0 Likes