Re: why can't I use wifi calling wifi preferred? (Pixel XL and iPhone 8 plus)
TheBZA

I can appreciate that.

This is why I go back to one of my original statements, if this was a user serviceable setting or threshold, people (I know I would) in general would be more satisfied with their overall experience and service.

Bottom line, it should be up to us.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I agree

0 Likes
TheBZA

VZW Customer Support,

Is there any way to get a bugfix or feature request in to enable this change? I can explain exactly which bits of code need to change for this to be viable.

If it wouldn’t void my warranty or EULA, I’d do it myself for my own phones…

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheBZA, I appreciate the good intentions and offer towards changing any code for Wi-Fi Calling to work better. I know the quality of how Wi-Fi Calling works is important to you. At this time, there is no bug fix or request we can create to enable the change for "Preferred Wi-Fi Only" for your Pixel XL or iPhone. I too would like to believe that future enhancements are coming to Wi-Fi Calling to ensure it addresses this exact problem.

You as the consumer do have the option of rooting your phone or software, but keep in mind it would void any existing warranty through the manufacturer or extended warranty through Verizon Wireless if applicable. This along with my original response is all the information we can currently provide.

AlanS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
omar2
Enthusiast - Level 2

this same problem is on the Pixel 2XL.

It really bothers me that we can't tell the phone to prefer WIFI over mobile.  

at my house. my verizon signal is just too flaky..it only works in certain rooms...so when I'm on calls if I leave the room it drops the call.   I have to turn off mobile data to get my phone to stick to wifi....the wifi preferred should be a settable setting...android supports it.so why does verizon prevent that

0 Likes
n8leav
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also frustrated by the fact that I can't enable Wifi preffered. I often have 1 signal bar in my house. I get so many dropped/missed calls throughout my days. It's beyond frustrating. I know for a fact, I can choose this option on other carriers with the same phone (Pixel 3XL). So it definitely is a setting that is disabled by Verizon.  The only way I can force it into Wifi calling to get stable service, is to put it in airplane mode and turn on wifi. However, to me, this is a bigger security concern because when I leave the house I sometimes forget to take it off airplane mode.  Just enable this option Verizon. It would be much appreciated by your customers with this phone.

VerizonSuuucks

@deloused wrote:

In many cases that is actually how the phones were designed by the manufacturer, or by software developers. Switching providers wouldn't necessarily help with that issue, as even T-Mobile has gotten on board with Cellular prioritization over Wifi, just as At&t and Verizon already had-

iOS 11.3 nasty surprise: T-Mobile prioritizes cellular over WiFi calling - PiunikaWeb

The reasons are likely related to technical & safety feature issues that do occur over WiFi

Yes switching providers will help. Verizon is one of the only providers that dont support wifi calling. Im switching to Google Fi. They support it. Bye Verizon. The final straw you disabling wifi calling this month

0 Likes
VerizonSuuucks

In general much more dangerous to not receive calls from my son in an emergency. When is it safer to not be able to make or recive calls becauae my phone has 0.5 of a bar?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is definitely not the experience we want you to have. We know it is vital to have reliable service, and we would be more than happy to help you today. Can you tell us a little more? When did this issue start? What services are being impacted? 

RachelM_VZW

0 Likes
barefoot-dave

I am also having this problem, and will switch to another provider if that will solve it.  I have been with Verizon for 10+ years and would hate to leave but my home has a metal roof and our lake house is in a fringe coverage area.  The phone will switch to wifi on MAYBE one in twenty calls but in general it just stays on the Verizon network which results in dropped calls.

Similar issues in some hotels, should switch to wifi calling but only does so very rarely.

0 Likes