Where is the Oreo 8.1 update?
eulloa10

My wife and I got the same exact phone, Pixel 2 XL 128GB. A few days ago she received the Oreo 8.1 Dec update, and I have yet to receive it. I've tried checking for updates to no avail. When will I get the update?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Where is the Oreo 8.1 update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The updates are staggered and can take several weeks to reach all of the devices. I personally don't expect to see it on my Pixel until at least the 15th based on my personal experience.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Patience. At least you are going to get the update soon.

0 Likes
JIM_DEPEW
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you want the update now go to :

1. Settings

2. Apps & Notifications

3. Click see all apps

4. Click the 3 dots in the upper right corner and press show system apps.

5. Scroll down and click on "Google Service Framework"

6. Click on storage.

7. Clear data.

8. Click back and force stop "Google Service Framework".

9. Restart Phone

10. Check for update once or twice and 8.1 should be there. It worked for me. Pixel XL

DustyDoes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! Worked for my Pixel 2 XL.

0 Likes
CASMUS80

I tried this on my Pixel 2, but it did not work.

I did some digging afterwards and found out that it's not a good idea to clear data from GSF.

Google Engineer Dan Morrill Sheds Some Light On The Nexus OTA Process, Urges You To Never Clear Goog...

I did have some issues with Google Play after I cleared data, but was able to resolve those issues for now.

0 Likes
Ryan_Williams
Enthusiast - Level 1

This method didn't work for me. I confirmed with Google support that Verizon is withholding the 8.1 update for unknown reasons (testing or staggered rollout probably).  They can't give me a timeframe for when we will receive the update.  Just more Verizon shenanigans.

0 Likes
DustyDoes
Enthusiast - Level 1

The staggered roll-out is definitely happening. But the method described above definitely worked for me. Ymmv

Pixel 2 XL: 8.1.0

0 Likes
radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

I ended up side loading the OTA. It didn't involve any modifications, rooting or unlocking of bootloaders. Instructions on how to do it were on Android Central.

0 Likes
superxbert
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jim's method works for me, I have a pixel 2xl.

0 Likes