When will the Pixel XL get 7.1.2
lesterlee927

7.1.2 has been released by Google as stable, but Verizon hasn't pushed it yet. I thought this was a straight up Google phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will the Pixel XL get 7.1.2
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even the updates on the Nexus and Pixel devices are staggered. When I was getting the updates on my wifi only Nexus 7 2013, I usually didn't see the update until the middle of the month around the 15th. Those updates were released on the first days of the month. That's almost two weeks delay from the release to the install. There were times when I was manually checking for the update and and still it didn't show up until the 15th or so. My own Pixel didn't get the March 3rd security updates until March 9th. The same thing happened the month before. Was I worried about it? No I wasn't. I see no reason to worry on the 6th of April for the "lack of an update" when Google released the update on the 3rd or 4th of April and Verizon Wireless posts their own update documentation on the 6th.

Now if it was the 1st of May and no update yet, then I have cause for concern.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It was released only a couple of days ago. It can take a few weeks before it is pushed to all devices. For example, I usually didn't see the update on a Nexus 7 2013 until the 15th of the month after it was released. As for the Pixel phones on Verizon Wireless, I'm not worried about it. It will be pushed to those devices with the rest of the world.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

I remember when this phone was announced. Both Google and Verizon said that the phone would receive the update at the same time Google published the update. This is the first instance of Pixel phones on Verizon not receiving the update at the same time as Pixel phones being used on any other carrier. This isn't just for Pixels sold at Verizon. I know people that bought their Pixel from Verizon and use it on a different carrier and was able to get the update. Myself, I bought my Pixel from Google and use it on Verizon and I have not been able to update. Based on this, I believe Verizon is not ready to have this update roll out. I really hope I'm wrong though.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

This is NOT true for the Pixel Ann154.  ALL other updates since the Pixel was released last year have come to all users, including Verizon at the same time.  This was PROMISED by Verizon that they would not sit on updates and we would all get them at the same time.  Every month like clockwork we all got the updates simultaneously, until now.  Come on Verizon, live up to your promises on the Pixel and release the updates at the same time as everyone else.  People who bought the Pixel from you, but now using it on other carriers got the update.  I have a bad feeling Verizon is trying to add bloat or the dreaded spyware app which is causing the delay.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I wrote. I'm not worried about it. The update documentation was posted on the updates page today (04/06/2017). Advanced Devices Software Updates | Verizon Wireless

Pixel, Phone by Google Software Update | Verizon Wireless

Pixel XL, Phone by Google Software Update | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

I understand you are not worried about it, but this is not the way it is supposed to work with Google/Nexus devices.  We are supposed to get the updates at the same time, like immediately, not days or weeks later.  That is how it has worked every month till now. Google announced the update, then I go to settings and manually pull it and update. Every prior month.  It is encouraging that Verizon has updated their website, but the update still doesn't work even though the website says you can manually get it through your settings. It is now 3 days late, probably because they are adding some bloat or tracking apps.

creator
Contributor - Level 2

They have to add their spyware appflash to it. Seriously though I hope they don't. This is the first time I haven't had the update within a couple days of it being released. If Verizon goes back to it's old ways of how they used to run the Nexus program I may be done with them.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The AppFlash was a test on one device only and has since been pulled.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even the updates on the Nexus and Pixel devices are staggered. When I was getting the updates on my wifi only Nexus 7 2013, I usually didn't see the update until the middle of the month around the 15th. Those updates were released on the first days of the month. That's almost two weeks delay from the release to the install. There were times when I was manually checking for the update and and still it didn't show up until the 15th or so. My own Pixel didn't get the March 3rd security updates until March 9th. The same thing happened the month before. Was I worried about it? No I wasn't. I see no reason to worry on the 6th of April for the "lack of an update" when Google released the update on the 3rd or 4th of April and Verizon Wireless posts their own update documentation on the 6th.

Now if it was the 1st of May and no update yet, then I have cause for concern.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

The update is available now.  I didn't notice any new apps or bloat.  Still odd that this one is the only one since October that we couldn't get on Verizon on day one.

0 Likes