Unable to send or receive MMS.
FITZ520

I just switched my phone to the Pixel and I cannot send or receive MMS.  Can anyone help me?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to send or receive MMS.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What was the phone model you had before? Which message application are you using?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bmangia1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having the same issue. As long as I use built in messaging app, I can send/receive MMS messages. But any other 'third party' messaging app, like my go-to for years now Textra, cannot send receive MMS. This only started recently and Textra support seems to believe that its an issue with APN MMS configuration of the phone (LG V20), which, I cannot access on my phone. All I can do is rename the APN. So I am out of luck stuck with a paid for app, a developer who cannot help, and a provider that will not support me because I'm using a third party messaging app. I also tried others, Android Messenger for example, and same thing. Interesting thing to note is that I did a reset of my phone and Textra worked perfectly for a week, then out-of-the-blue, I'm right back to where I was before resetting. My understanding is APN comes from the SIM? If that's true, is it worth trying a new SIM?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brmangia1, I am sorry to learn that you’re having trouble with sending and receiving MMS messages through a third party application. I am always sending MMS messages to my friends and family and understand the importance of this working. The APN information will not change if you swap out a new sim card. I see you mentioned the developer of the application wont help, have you reviewed the comments in the Play Store to see if others are having this trouble? As you know we unfortunately have limited troubleshooting that can be done as it is not our application. How does the phone work with sending/receiving MMS with the messaging application that came on the phone? Have you tried to use Verizon Messages +?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I truly appreciate you sharing your insight, bmangia1. It’s a relief to see that you do have a way to send and receive MMS through your native application. That’s a good indication the APN settings you mentioned are actually correct. But I can understand the lingering frustration with the third-party applications. You can review the APN settings directly on your V20 by navigating to Settings > Data Usage > Menu (three vertical dots) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. If it reflects anything aside from VZWINTERNET, you can reset to the default by tapping Menu > Restore default settings. A SIM replacement would not be necessary, but it's always a good idea to turn your phone off and take your SIM out for about 30 seconds. Make sure to be careful with the metal sections of the SIM and place it back into the phone before powering back up. This restart will help the device to communicate with the network smoothly and complete any service updates that may not have come through automatically.

I want to be sure we get to the bottom of both MMS concerns. FITZ520 and bmangia1, are you able to place and receive calls fine? And is your access to other data applications and websites working well when you have WiFi turned off? What happens when you try to send an MMS, FITZ520?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JLFORD18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having the same issues with my Galaxy s7 Edge. For some reason ever since I chose to go to the unlimited plan for my phone it chooses for me when it wants to send and receive mms messages. Group text messages are just blocked for like 20 or 30 minutes before allowing all the messages to come through and to complete the sending of the messages that I wrote. IT REALLY FRUSTRATING. especially when it is an important matter at hand.

I have restarted my phone, I have disconnected and reconnected my data connection. I have called Verizon and they never have a solution for me. At first I thought they were just trying to force me to use wifi, but now it's really ridiculous. Like really. I can send regular messages, I can stream and surf the web, but NO MMS messages IN OR OUT. That's terrible. Seriously giving some thought into finding a new provider against my will. Sucks

JLFORD18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using Verizon Message+,  sim card update Dec 2016

0 Likes
bmangia1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So for a couple weeks now Textra started working again. Now today I check its no longer working again or any other sms app outside of VZ Messenger and LG's. One thing I noticed during the time that Textra worked VZW apps, My Verizon/VZ Protect would not see that I was connected to data, which usually cleared the second time launching the app. I reset APN at one point so decided to see what effect another reset would have. Sure enough, now VZW apps connect at first launch and my third party SMS app is back to not working. What is up with the APN settings? And why do I not see any other settings under APN as other users report? This definitely appears to be a VZW issue. The fact that I'm essentially forced to use VZW or LG default is untenable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JLFORD18, we want to help you get those MMS messages working again.  It sounds like you have already done a good job of troubleshooting, let's try something else.  We recommend resetting the app, follow the link for instructions: http://vz.to/2dtLrjh

RalphT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

JLFORD18
Enthusiast - Level 2

The link did not work.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:09 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes