RCS Issues – Pixel 2
AteBit
Enthusiast - Level 2

RCS Issues – Pixel 2

First, a little background.    I recently swapped to a different smartphone using the SIM out of my Pixel 2.  Prior to swapping devices, I had no issues with my Pixel 2, especially using chat features (RCS) in Google Messages.  

After swapping to this other phone, at first I was not receiving SMS messages.  I was able to send however.    I reached out to Verizon Support and they informed they would need to enable "CDMA Less" feature on my line/phone number.  Once this feature was enabled, I was then able to receive SMS.  However, was never able to use enhanced chat features through Google Messages.  So, I used the Verizon Messages app instead.

This "other" phone was not a Pixel and I soon decided to switch back to my Pixel 2.  Verizon recommended that I replace the old SIM with a brand new, mainly due to the CDMA Less feature that was previously added.  So, I picked up a brand new SIM at Verizon.

Almost immediately I learned that the Chat features were not working properly on my Pixel 2.  It was stuck on "Verifying Phone Number" - "Setting Up".  Before you point me to the other forums, I tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned there.  I cleared cache, storage in Carrier Services and Google Messages as well.   None of these steps resolved the issue.

I spent hours in chat with both Google and Verizon.  Verizon explains that the CDMA Less feature is no longer tied to my line and the phone has been provisioned properly and everything looks good on their end, and refers me to Google.  Also, of course, they tell me my Pixel 2 is not on the supported list for RCS.  My wife has a Pixel 2 (same Verizon account) and chat features (RCS) work flawlessly on her device as well. 

Google support advised me to leave feedback through the app and through the system settings feedback as well.  They also recommended that I contact the carrier.

Well, I did determine what I believe is the issue.  I am not receiving the Google Verification message upon enabling the Chat Features in Google Messages.  Just not sure how to resolve. I swapped SIM cards with another device on my Verizon account, this is a Samsung J3.  I powered both devices off, and put the SIM from the Samsung Phone in my Pixel 2.  Of course, this configured my Pixel with the other phone number of the Samsung.  I enabled the chat features in Google Messages and the phone immediately received the Google Verification message and chat features began working.

Advice?  Ideas? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: RCS Issues – Pixel 2
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here to assist with questions and concerns. Let's get started. Are you experiencing issue with other services? Have you tried receiving the verification while connected to the VZW network or Wi-Fi? Which device do you have active at this time?   CoreyM_VZW

0 Likes
AteBit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Corey,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I am not experiencing any issues with any other services.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Google Messages app, Carrier Services app.  I've tried using Verizon network only, WiFi only.  

I am using my Pixel 2. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for letting me know. Have you reached out to us to look over the account features to make sure that your line has the feature active? If not, I would definitely recommend having us take a look. You can also find out more information on this, by following this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/advanced-messaging-faqs/.

AlfredoR_VZW

0 Likes
AteBit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have reached out to Verizon support multiple times concerning this issue.  Verizon support assured that the CDMA Less feature had been removed from my account.

This has become a frustration.  I did not have any issues prior to having CDMA less added to my account.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important this is for you, AteBit. We don't have any support information regarding Google's RCS services. When connecting to Google's RCS, you are using Google's services to authenticate the connection. If it is not connecting, then Google is having an issue with authenticating your number. Here is a Google support page for turning on the Chat Features: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9363493?hl=en

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
AteBit
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's interesting.  Google support basically said the same thing.  They explained that Verizon handled the authentication.

The truth is that when I switched devices and had CDMA Less added, the chat features issue started.

A universal chat/messaging system on Android is EXTREMELY fragmented.  I applaud Google on stepping up to the plate and acknowledging the fragmentation.  Then taking it a step further and not waiting for the big carriers to provide a universal solution, but implementing their own. This solution, RCS.

Then, after the fact, the big carriers decided to implement their own version of universal.  Again fragmented.  Yet, is this available to all devices?  Not that I'm aware of.

Any details on a universal chat/messaging solution for the Android platform? From Verizon?   No, Messages Plus is not that.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all the details. We sent you a Private Note.

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
akwill25
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see VZW sent you a private note. Could you touch back some time to say whether (and/or how) your issue was resolved. Thanks and best of luck with your issue.

0 Likes
billpl2309
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow!! This is the exact same issue I'm having with my Pixel 4a 5G. I cleared cache, storage in Carrier Services and Google Messages as well.   None of these steps resolved the issue.

Spent hours on the phone troubleshooting with Google and Verizon pointing fingers at each other to why Chat Features don't work. I know you posted this exactly a year ago, I am hoping you could explain what was done to fix your problem.

My phone prior to my pixel I had Chat Features connected with know problems connecting. And I used my old phone to load my new phone. So I had no new apps downloaded or pps that would interfere connecting. I was not told by Verizon about my "CDMA Less" enabled or not. Was told by Verizon that the phone is provisioned properly for RCS to work.

0 Likes