Pixel's and Android 10?
Looneyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is anyone aware if Google has resolved the issues with Android 10 effectively turning all generations of the Pixel and Pixel XL's into very expensive paperweights? I've been refusing the latest OTA update to 10 for the past week, due to the many, many reports of Android 10 issues going unaddressed and unresolved, and as usual there is next to zero word or information from either Google or Verizon over what is actually going on with the 10 update, and if or when it will ever be safe to update. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel's and Android 10?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want to ensure your device is working the way it should Looneyman. We are happy to help. Are you having any specific issues with the current device? Have you tried to download the software update?

RashadM_VZW

0 Likes
Looneyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

As I said, I've been refusing the update to Android 10 due to the reports of multiple issues with all versions and generations of the Pixel after updating, including phones freezing on the boot screen while updating, sensor failures, wifi and bluethooth conncetion failures, failure of auto-rotation, failure of auto-brightness, failure of active edge, failure of double-tap functions - the list of reported issues is extensive, and so far I've seen no report of what is causing the problems, or if anything is being addressed. Having already lost the use of one very expensive phone due to an update pushed by Motorola and Verizon, (Moto Z Force Droid; an Android update reduced the battery life when idle from a few days to a few hours, under use the battery discharges from 100% - 0% in less than an hour, with no fix ever offered), I simply can not afford to have another phone destroyed or otherwise rendered unusable by an update that no one wants to take responsiblity for. 

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

I've had the update since it was released in early September.  Only one problem that I will outline below.  Otherwise, I wouldn't pay attention to all the other noise about the update.  I don't have any of those issues and love the update.  There are millions of these Pixel 1, 2 and 3 out there and a very few devices will always have problems. 

Now, here's my issue.  There are a number of threads on Android Central and the Google Pixel Community Forums about the "weak signal after the update."  I didn't notice it at first, because I updated at work and there is a tower within 100 yards of my window, so I always get 5 bars there.  However, when going to weaker signal areas I notice a huge difference after the update.  In places I got 2 to 3 bars before, such as my home, I now get zero (yes zero) or 1 bar.  I used to be able to stream anything at home, now very rarely can do this. 

As I mentioned, there are hundreds of people just on the Google Pixel Community Forums stating the same thing.  I believe Google is at fault here as it is something in their update.  Verizon doesn't interfere with the updates on the Pixel.  The Google Pixel updates come at the same time each month like clockwork.  It is possible there is something that got changed in the interface between the phone and the towers.  I would appreciate anyone from Verizon answering here or reaching out to me as I could give them the tower IDs of the ones that suddenly turned to garbage after the update.  I have the Signal Check Pro app that gives me this information.  Possibly my phone needs to be "reprovisioned" or something after this update.   

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't had any issues with the September update for the Pixel phones and I have had it since mid September whenever it said it was available for download. Strangely enough, the October update notification popped up as I was reading this thread. I will wait until I'm home and connected to Wi-Fi to download and install the update. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

Here is a link with 144 responses and 332 "Upvotes" for people who are having the "Weak signal on all type of Pixels" after Android 10 update. 

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/13566467?hl=en

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Less than 350 out of thousands of people who likely have a Pixel phone? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Looneyman wrote:

Is anyone aware if Google has resolved the issues with Android 10 effectively turning all generations of the Pixel and Pixel XL's into very expensive paperweights? 

I have the original Pixel, and got the notice that Android 10 was ready to download and install, but I happened to be out of town for several days and didn't want to be without a phone, you know, just in case something went wrong withthe upgrade process...

About mid-September I went ahead and did the upgrade, and it went smoothly, without a hitch.  I haven't had any data or signal issueseither.  I got lucky?  Or there are just a small percentage of overall users who did have issues and theyare, naturally, the most vocal about problems.  You don't hear when things go right, just when things go wrong.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

Ann154, not sure of the purpose of you responding here, other than to continue to build your number of posts and status on the forums.  There is a legitimate issue.  If there are 350+ people reporting it on a Google forum, you can bet there are probably thousands more as actually only a small percentage will take the time to go to the forum and make a post.  Take a look at this thread and explain to us how your condescending post helped at all.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is more likely the other way around. Those having issues would be a small percentage of the overall users. 

0 Likes