Pixel OEM Unlocking Support
rabbitman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of doing some development work with my Google Pixel 3XL and am getting hung up at some stages due to the "OEM unlocking" feature being disabled. My understanding is that this is because the phone has been purchased from Verizon.

I am disappointed that after spending a sizable chunk of money on this phone, its capacity as a productivity tool is severely handicapped simply because of where it was purchased. Would a member from the Verizon team please direct me to the policy or agreement which enforces the prohibition of OEM unlocking?

Thank you! 

Labels (1)
Re: Pixel OEM Unlocking Support
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello rabbitman, we want to make sure you get your money's worth. Exactly what are you trying to do?

Verizon Wireless does not make any alterations to the boot loader, nor do we restrict any developer options on devices. It is not recommended to make any changes to the boot loader as it may cause devices to behave abnormally.

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

If Verizon Wireless does not make any alterations to the boot loader or restrict any developer options on devices, why does Google sell the phones with the bootloader unlocked and without any developer options disabled, but when you buy that same! exact! phone! from Verizon those options are locked? I have written communications with the Google company that states they do not lock the bootloader or lock any developer options before selling them to other retailers. 

Tags (2)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lyonster89, we don't have a direct answer for that but also don't provide support for this and have no process to unlock the bootloader. You can decide to root the phone if you choose to take that risk.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
CGCY
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Alan

Does anyone have a straight answer fro Verizon on this? Yes or No.

I understand that Verizon wants to protect their networks, but if I owned  the phone 100%, it should be my decision of the software on it.

It makes not senses, if I can use an unlocked Pixel on your network, why does the boot-loader security is needed on the Verizon one?

you mentioned "root your phone". anything i read about it, there is no way to unlock the verizon boot-loader.

Thanks

CG

lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

No strait answer has been received from Verizon regarding this issue to date.

pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in the same boat 😞

What I don't understand is why do Verizon claim they unlock all devices after 60 days even though the bootloader's locked forever? What good does that do?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'll be happy to assist you with information about unlocking devices. You can view our unlock policy at: https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy , also, it is important to understand the difference between unlocking a device for carrier use outside of Verizon and the bootloader. The bootloader is a tool used by the manufacturer that allows interaction with the base programming or OS, we do not suggest anyone try to unlock that system, as doing so can damage the device and void any warranty from the manufacturer. There should be no reason to interact with that system. ChristopherS_VZW

0 Likes
lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

"The bootloader is a tool used by the manufacturer that allows interaction with the base programming or OS, we do not suggest anyone try to unlock that system, as doing so can damage the device and void any warranty from the manufacturer. There should be no reason to interact with that system. ChristopherS_VZW" 

Thank you, we understand that. You telling me there should be no reason to interact with that system is like telling someone that bought their car there should be no reason to change their own oil since the auto body shop can do that for them. You completely understand what we are asking and have once again avoided answering the question. 

Is there a process we can go through in order to get the bootloader of our phones unlocked so we can have access to the bootloader? Yes or No

If the answer is yes, what is that process?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lyonster89, we know you were hoping to get access to the bootloader but we have no process to support this.

StevenM_VZW

Tags (1)
0 Likes