Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 7,394 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Messages no longer work over wifi
Ashleigh919
Enthusiast - Level 2

One of the updates between Thanksgiving and January caused messages to no longer work over wifi on my 1st generation Pixel XL.  I have used my phone in airplane mode, on a plane, using wifi, or in an area with no service over wifi many times, and the last time I did this on a plane was in November.  Sine then, this is my third round-trip flight on a plane, and my phone says "no connection" with a cloud with a line through it next to that when I go into a message.  I can neither send nor receive a message while on wifi and not on the cellular network. 

What happened to cause this and why has it not been fixed?  Can someone at Verizon please clue us in/fix this?  I contacted Google, and they reached out at first, and since then, there has been radio silence. This is beyond annoying, especially if you are trying to communicate with someone regarding a ride or something like that.

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Messages no longer work over wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ashleigh919, it's important that you have the ability to send text messages over Wi-Fi. I'm here to help. What messaging app are you using? Are you able to connect to other services via Wi-Fi? Does this happen on all Wi-Fi networks?

TracyB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ashleigh919
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Tracy,

I am using the native Android/Google messaging application. I am able to

connect to everything and anything else over wifi. If I remember

correctly, there was an update somewhere around the time this started to

happen. I'm not sure if this happens on all wifi networks, because the

only time I'm in airplane mode is when I'm on a plane, so I haven't really

tested it elsewhere, because there has been no need for me to be in

airplane mode at any other time.

Thanks,

Ashleigh

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 2:05 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That’s very useful information, Ashleigh919. I know how upsetting it must be when you see that cloud. A review of Google’s forums didn’t reveal any “known issues”, so let’s keep troubleshooting. Since we’d like to have this working before your next plane trip, the next step will be to test it locally. In other words, the next time you’re on a WIFI connection, please place your device in airplane mode. Test the texting, and let us know what happens.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
lilredrcr

Same issue same device/app specs as above.  Does not work over wifiWat home or on planes any longer.  Is this a known issue?  Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, lilredcr. Please follow these steps to force stop and clear the cache of your messaging app:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207608/ . Once this is done, restart your phone and test the app.

0 Likes
LiveCJ

Having the same issue.  Clearing the cache does not work. 

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Is your phone’s WiFi Calling setting turned on?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are able to use your messaging over a Wi-Fi connection. Let's review this more together to make sure you are able to do so. With regard to your device does this occur with other Wi-Fi networks as well? What happens when you try to send a text over the Wi-Fi connection? JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
Mkneltel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue... tte reset did nothing, app changing does nothing either. 

0 Likes