Re: How do I force wifi preferred for wifi calling?
BLITZEM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey PracticalNihili so I just called a Verizon agent who was very helpful but said, if you're in the US you will not be able to use wifi calling because you have access to Verizon's network however you can do this. ( You may not have to do all these steps but this is what worked for me.)

1. Airplane Mode

2. Turn on wifi (I didn't know you could toggle this and Bluetooth on in airplane mode since airplane mode shuts them all down)

3. Phone > Settings > Calls > WiFi Calling > Then toggle it on and off

4. Your roaming will for some reason still say mobile preferred however I was able to text and call over WiFi and the call will say "wifi" on the phone app when connected to you can't miss it.

Best of luck to you I hope this helps and I would like Verizon to pay me. Lol. ;D

0 Likes
PracticalNihili
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah I know about the airplane mode trick, I was hoping to figure out a way to avoid that.  Thanks anyway!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PracticalNihili, we always want your device to match your needs.  Unfortunately the Wi-Fi preferred option is no longer available on the Verizon Pixels and the mobile preferred option is currently the only default option.  We will definitely submit your feedback regarding this issue and appreciate the patience.  Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Sean_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

wearearewe

For what it's worth, I have the same issue on and iPhone X. I can turn on Wi-Fi calling and set it to preferred while roaming but even the least bit of cellular service and the phone will use the cell signal to answer the call. Most of the time it goes straight to voicemail, sometimes it will ring and drop the call. The only way to force Wi-Fi calling is to put the phone into airplane mode. Although this works on the iPhone X I find that it does not work on the iPhone 6. I do not know if it works on the iPhone 7 or 8.

If Verizon is truly concerned with the user experience they would enable a setting to prefer Wi-Fi calling regardless of whether the phone thinks its roaming.

0 Likes
tmr0132
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now in 2019, rather than fixing the issue, Verizon has eliminated the airplane mode trick. This is ridiculous. I get bad reception inside. Does Verizon expect me to walk outside to make a call? This is a clear abuse of service. Submit my complaint and fix the problem. WiFi calling must be made an option preference. If not I'll continue to spread the issue until it relates directly to Verizon's PR

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my phone to keep me connected with the correct settings and want to ensure you're able to use your Wi-Fi calling setting, tmr0132. The devices are set to automatically default to cellular calls unless you're traveling internationally. Just to confirm, when you are home and connected to Wi-Fi do your calls show that you are connected as a Wi-Fi call? You can learn more here as well, http://spr.ly/6584ERbJA.

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bigrick1964
Enthusiast - Level 1

Download Google Hangouts, no problem making WiFi calling with this app. If Verizon wants to take WiFi calling from us, we'll find a work-around. Thanks for nothing, Verizon.

omar2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll be leaving Verizon soon because of this ridiculous change they made that prevents us from setting the phone to use wifi preferred.   My house has a very weak verizon signal, it only works in certain parts of the house..so its useless and shouldn't be used indoors...but my pixel 2 XL phone doesn't let me set wifi preferred except for roaming....so calls on my phone are never good and often disconnect if I walk around the house at all.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want you to go over a situation like this,  omar2. We're happy to continue to provide suggestions. Are you recieving an error message from your device? CecileC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport if my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this! 

0 Likes
rsstephens1998
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

We would never want you to go over a situation like this,  omar2. We're happy to continue to provide suggestions. Are you recieving an error message from your device? CecileC_VZW

I've been a Verizon customer for 2 months now, after having moved homes I hoped Verizon could offer better service in what seemed to be a complete deadzone. Google Fi on my Pixel 2 XL was not quite cutting it, and my wifi tends too cut on occasion due to upstream noise, past my modem, but that's an issue for Spectum!

Anyway, I decided to join Verizon Pre-Paid. To my dismay, Verizon is largely unable to provide enough coverage to place or receive a phone call when sitting in any room of my new house.

"No worries, Pixel 2 XL has WiFi calling", I thought, incorrectly...

Two months in, while I have been getting great speed/coverage everywhere other than my home, I'm still unable to reliably place a call without doing the little airplane mode trick. The fact that Verizon first applied this limitation, but now "fixed" the workaround, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Through my short time with Verizon, I have continually discovered the latest attempt made by Verizon, in the form of device restrictions like the lack of visual voicemail for prepaid, among many others. Not to mention the fact that in 2018 Verizon Wireless severely throttled and in some cases turned off cell service for Emergency Services when attempting to put out massive forest fires raging through the US West Coast. This lead to communication issues and may have even directly contributed to the otherwise unnecessary loss of property or even life due to the delays this caused.

If you, Verizon as a whole, actually felt the way you say do here in your community fourms and you actively avoided causing situations like this for me, your customers, I would consider staying on my current plan. As it stands, I've got 28 days left on my prepaid. After which I fully intend to switch back to Google Fi. The circle-running support forums, feelings of powerlessness, and the sliminesss of corporate greed exemplified through Verizon's actions time and time again have got me running for the hills.