Re: upgrade Marshmallow
Tidbits
Legend

If they made money off the devices sure... sadly they don't. Even the manufacturers testified to that fact themselves in a court of law. The reason why they sell devices is because consumers expect them to in the USA. If they didn't have that expectations they wouldn't sell them. For example say AT&T sold devices and Verizon didn't. Which is more than likely to happen. More people would subscribe to AT&T because they don't have to look for compatible devices and they are sold right there vs the exact opposite. Guess who would gain more customers. If the mindset was different I bet carriers wouldn't be selling devices.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually retail price is set by the manufacturer and that's how much carriers give them. It's already been through the courts.  It's the main reason why our ETF goes down as time progresses.

0 Likes
justkorijo

forgive me for reopening an older post, but i got here because i'm still waiting to at least get a release date on the marshmallow update. the original turbo may be an 'old' device, but i chose it because it was going to be updated to 6.0. that's been the case since it was brand new. if verizon's goal is to convince people to buy the newer devices as they come out, they shouldn't tell us the one we have will end up with the same software... i'd be a lot more focused on looking for a new phone as opposed to an update if my phone was not going to get the marshmallow update. if anything, it makes holding out for a whole new phone that much easier... but that's just my opinion. 2 and a half months later, i'd still love to hear ANYTHING about the progress motorola & verizon are making on the first turbo. :]

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I can only speak from past experience:  Verizon exclusives sometimes get updates, that is to say...if a new version of the same phone has come along, in this case the Turbo 2 and the Turbo 1 has no 6.0 update, then there won't be an update.  Most of my Droids did not get the next update after the next iteration of the Droid came out.  Same to be said of any Nexus on Verizon, such as the Galaxy Nexus...no newer updates.

0 Likes
locolorna90

Customer service it now 08/21/16 and we still don't have marshmallow it makes me very unhappy

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Most likely you will not.

0 Likes
mecamc1

Originally the Turbo was listed by Verizon to eventually get Marshmallow.  A few months ago, I called Motorola to ask if this was still on schedule -  they responded they approved the upgrade, but that Verizon still had to review and approve whether it works with their software & equipment.  Verizon is notorious even within its own ranks to be the slowest in the industry to update/upgrade the software and/or OS.  As much as I hate giving up my Android system and Droids, I'm now looking at iPhone or Samsung for my next phone - due in a couple of months.  Are you Listening Verizon ?????????  (I guess they STILL 'can't hear me now' !!)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Tell you now the rep lied to you. There has been the beta test from Motorola which happens BEFORE it is submitted to Verizon. People have gotten the email to participate but shortly after it was canned. So nothing was ever submitted.

Snn5
Legend

"Can you hear me now?" (Paul Marcarelli) moved to Sprint.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Motorola can commit to update a device like the Turbo in this case, but if VZW won't test or approve the update (think Moto X 2014) even if Moto submits the update to VZW. I think that is why Motorola changed their wording on their Software Update page, to ' Device XYZ will be updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, pending carrier support'. That way if VZW decides they aren't going to upgrade a device (Moto M Mini, Ultra and Maxx, Moto X 2014), then less of the blame can fall on them.

0 Likes