two identical phones seem to have same bluetooth address
JimS07
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I each have the same model Droid Turbo. We just got a new car and paired both of our phones to the car's bluetooth. The car is supposed to give priority to whichever phone is in the car, showing the directory from that phone.

My wife's phone was the last to use bluetooth, and when I next got in the car, I assumed that my directory would show up, but it still showed her phone's directory. I then noticed that the device ID showing on the car's screen is XT1254, and this is the same for both of the phones. So, I don't think the car's system recognizes that there is a different phone being used.

I can enter the car's system and manually change from one phone to the other, but I would like to have that done automatically as it's supposed to do.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Jim S.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: two identical phones seem to have same bluetooth address
JimS07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I think I may have the solution. I found the manual for my phone

online, and it tells how to change the Bluetooth name on the phone. On my

phone, you go to Settings, then Bluetooth and then the Menu. In the

Bluetooth menu there's a command to rename your device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you change the name of the device in the vehicle's Bluetooth setting? Then setup a different name for the other phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JimS07
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think I can change the name in the car's Bluetooth setting. It's system seems to automatically find the identity of my phone. I think I'd need to change the "identity" of one of the phones. Do you know if that's possible, and if so, how to do it?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look at the owner's manual for the vehicle to see what your options are for the Bluetooth settings are for the vehicle 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

What make/model auto do you have?  Have you checked to see if they have a user forum similar to this one, e.g. Ford SYNC Forum ?  There are probably others with the same issue who have asked this question on a different user forum.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
JimS07
Enthusiast - Level 2

The manual just says to pick your phone name from the list on the display.

Unfortunately, both phones show up as the same name. I'm at the point where

I think I'll try going to the dealer.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
JimS07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I think I may have the solution. I found the manual for my phone

online, and it tells how to change the Bluetooth name on the phone. On my

phone, you go to Settings, then Bluetooth and then the Menu. In the

Bluetooth menu there's a command to rename your device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize you are having issues connecting your car to the Bluetooth. Ann154 is correct, you can change the name of your device so it differentiates the two devices. Not to worry, Here is a link that will help with connecting your car to Bluetooth. http://spr.ly/6582DTdp4. I would also recommend changing the name of the device from your phone Bluetooth settings as well to see if it will show differently on your cars Bluetooth screen. 

Here are the steps on how to change the Bluetooth name on your device.

1. Click on app's icon on home screen (circle with six dots)
2. Go to settings app
3. Click on Bluetooth
4. Click on the tool gear next to the device Bluetooth name
5. It will then give you the option to change the name to a desired name of your choice. 

ChetonJ_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes