ringer problem
tiellover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was out of the country recently and removed my ringtone. Came back a few days ago and put it back.  No sound when the phone rings since then.  Tried other ringtones.  Been on the phone now 3 hours with Verizon tech support and Motorola tech support.  The ringer works in safe mode, but not in regular mode.  We twice tried to clear the system cache, but it never completed, so not sure if it really cleared.  Sometimes the phone will make one ring and then stop, as if something is conflicting with it.  Other times it won't make any sound.  I have a lot of apps, so no way to tell what could be conflicting, if that's the issue.  He's been on the phone with Motorola, and they had no suggestions other than clear the system cache.  They said they haven't heard of this problem.  I can't speak to notifications since I always have that sound off.  Many apps have, of course, updated themselves recently, so it could be one of them.  I'm running Kit Kat and have been since it was pushed.  It's obviously not hardware since it works in safe mode.  I don't want to do a FDR unless I'm sure it will help.  We're thinking it probably won't since it's probably a conflict of some kind, and it would return once I reinstalled everything.

Has anyone had this problem?  Does anyone know of any specific apps that might conflict with the ringer?  I used Android Assistant and did a thorough cleaning of my system.  I'd be grateful for any help!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ringer problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tiellover!

I can help provide some clarification and direction in this situation. Safe Mode runs your phone without any third party apps, and that's the only difference. If things work in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode, we know that it is being caused by a third party app on the device. There's no need to do a Hard Reset in this case, unless you want to delete all your apps at once and start fresh. To correct this problem, I would suggest uninstalling your apps one at a time, and testing until you find the one with the problem. Be sure to restart your phone after uninstalling to confirm it has taken effect.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: ringer problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tiellover!

I can help provide some clarification and direction in this situation. Safe Mode runs your phone without any third party apps, and that's the only difference. If things work in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode, we know that it is being caused by a third party app on the device. There's no need to do a Hard Reset in this case, unless you want to delete all your apps at once and start fresh. To correct this problem, I would suggest uninstalling your apps one at a time, and testing until you find the one with the problem. Be sure to restart your phone after uninstalling to confirm it has taken effect.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes