can't receive text messages! popup error that say "unfortunately messaging has stopped"
elund34
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
Re: can't receive text messages! popup error that say "unfortunately messaging has stopped"
MtnMan5150

I have the same problem. My "Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped" notifications are driving me crazy. I have gotten 3 in the past couple minutes. I have texts that I am not receiving. I have text that are not being delivered. I am using the stock Messenger, the one with the green icon. I have also tried the Verizon Messenger and hello SMS apps with no change. I have read through the instructions that have been given to others and cleared the cache and performed factory resets with no results. It seems to me that there is a definite software issue since a lot of people with Droid Ultra and Maxx devices are having the same issues. Currently my device is completely undependable since I know for a fact I have missed texts and had many undelivered. What is Verizon doing to correct this issue?

Screenshot_2014-06-16-12-28-58.pngScreenshot_2014-06-16-12-30-59.pngScreenshot_2014-06-16-13-36-23.png

0 Likes
Re: can't receive text messages! popup error that say "unfortunately messaging has stopped"
mujugaba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you tried using Hangouts? It is supposed to be the replacement for the stock messaging application. I would take it for a spin and see if you can send and receive again. If so, you can always disable the stock messaging as I have. I've had no messaging crash notifications and no SMS/MMS problems either.

0 Likes
MtnMan5150

Yes, I gave Hangouts a whirl and it was very disappointing. It is one of those messenger apps that requires all the users that you are texting to be using the app. I am not into that. I am currently using one that is more like the original app called "8sms (Stock Messaging,KitKat)" by THINKLEFT. I also disabled the original Messenger and unchecked the notification box. So, I havent heard a peep from it since I installed this most recent one. I think there is just a bug in the 19.6.3 update that jacks up the original messenger. I think if we disable and uncheck notifications we can use most any we want without issues.

0 Likes
jboca148
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem, I want to use the messaging app that comes with the phone but it has been terrible for the last month.  No one seems to be able to figure this out?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to help keep those messages flowing elund34! Is this happening with every received message? How about with sent messages? When did these difficulties start? Have you tried power cycling the device for a soft reset?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
mgr29063

My girlfriend and i have the exact same phone with the same version of Android installed, build and everythieng. she started getting this same message wheneve she receives an MMS, gorup or pic. She uses the stock messing app, the green icon. i have never had thsi happen and i use the Message+ app. She hs don all the things that have been suggested and it still shuts down. I'm going to talk with her about 'safe mode' tonight. that's the only thig we've haven't tried. I'm thinkinh that it might be some app that one of her friends had her d/l that is the real culprit.

0 Likes
elund34
Enthusiast - Level 3

I honestly couldn't tell you when this started happening, as I dont know when I stopped missing texts from people, but am guessing at around June 11th or 12th.  Maybe they figured I just wasn't answering or whatever.  If I send a text to a person I typically receive a reply from them, but if they intiate the text messages I wont get them.  I have tried turning the phone off multiple times on multiple days and as soon as everything loads back up that error message pops up before I can even do anything.  I have tried using 'Safe Mode' and still get the popup error message.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to be able to enjoy your messaging MtnMan5150! Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Is this happening with every message? Any changes since you cleared the app cache? Did you do it on each message app? Did you retain your existing apps during the update?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
mujugaba
Enthusiast - Level 3

MtnMan5150 It was formerly the case that Hangouts only handled chatting but has been changed for quite a while. Google has rolled SMS and the chatting into the same application now. I would take it for another run to see if if works for you now.

elund34 Check whether your default messaging application has changed. It may just be that you are trying to use an app that is not set to be handling it completely.. Settings > Wireless & Networks - More... > Default SMS app

0 Likes