Wifi/Bluetooth will not connect on Droid MAXX
ccraven89
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen this posted several times in this forum without a satisfactory answer given. Here's the deal: I have Droid MAXX which will no longer connect to WiFi or Bluetooth. To be specific, sometimes the on/off sliders go to 'on' but then will immediately go back to off, or the sliders themselves will be greyed out. Once in a blue moon I'll even be able to connect to WiFi only to have the symptoms return that i described earlier. I had a perfectly functional phone before loading this most recent update (24.3.7.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US) and now I consistently go over my data allotment each month.

I have

-Factory Reset (App restore unchecked)

-Wiped the partition cache

-Left the phone alone after a factory reset without installing any apps for 3-4 days

-Taken it into a Verizon Store, told to wait for Lollipop update

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I can troubleshoot a phone and I know it is not one specific WiFi network that I am having this issue with. No liquid or physical damage. This is a replacement phone that I have had for about a year. I need a fix, and I needed it about 3 months ago when this issue popped up. If I need to wait for Lollipop to fix this, so be it, but at least do me and the other users of this device a solid and give us a general idea of when that is going to happen.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi/Bluetooth will not connect on Droid MAXX
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@ccraven89

Thanks for confirming all the troubleshooting steps you've tried!  I see you've gone through a great deal of trouble trying to resolve this wireless issue.  You mentioned earlier that this was a replacement you received from Asurion.  They actually hold the warranty to their replacement devices.  I recommend reaching out to Asurion Technical Support at (Toll Free) 888-881-2622 for further assistance with your wireless device.  Please let them know all of the troubleshooting steps you have already completed.  Keep me posted with your results.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
ccraven89,
Thank you for trying all of the troubleshooting steps mentioned. That certainly comes in handy when trying to narrow down a concern. Being able to connect to WiFi, for me, is critical since I want to monitor my usage the best that I can, so I totally understand where you are coming from. You mentioned that it isn't just one specific WiFi that it won't connect to. Do you happen to know which routers are being used when trying to connect? Also, you mentioned that this is a replacement device, did your other device have the same issue? If you could share some additional information that will help figure out what step to take next. Thanks!

ErinW_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
ccraven89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Erin,

I appreciate the quick response. The Maxx I had before didn't experience this problem - I managed to crack the screen and went through Asurion to get it replaced. It is worth mentioning that my current phone also didn't start having this problem until the last three-four months or so.

You ask about routers that are being used when I try to connect which is something I thankfully know quite a bit about. There are 2 major places I use WiFi, home and work. My home wireless network is serviced by a Cisco E2500 that is set up for G and N speeds and WPA2 auth. I have done a survey of the other wireless networks in the neighborhood and have set the channels on my access point to be different from my neighbors. My work network is serviced by Cisco Aironet access points which can handle a range of speeds (B/G/N) and handle the channel assignment automatically. The work network does not have a passphrase (unsecured), we handle authentication another way. I don't believe there is a configuration issue in either network, especially the work network.

I mentioned that sometimes the phone wifi/bluetooth will work briefly. When that has been the case I can verify that it is trying to talk to the right wireless network. Most of the time however, the on/off toggles are greyed out or slide immediately back to off.

Another thing I didn't mention in my first post was that I had also tried placing the device in safe mode and removing apps. Occasionally that did fix the problem, but it always came back with 24 hours. I was able to get the problem to reappear after a factory reset, no additional apps installed which leads me to believe it is a bug with either a required app or the OS itself.

Thanks again

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Great details ccraven89! You mentioned that when you powered up in Safe Mode, there was an improvement on your phone, but didn't last more than about 24 hours. You also mentioned that you did a Hard Reset and didn't download additional apps. Is that in addition to what you previously had downloaded, or does that mean you didn't download any apps at all after the reset? If you backed everything up and downloaded everything you previously had before the update, this says it's likely to be an app that is no longer compatible with phone/ software. Therefore, when you do a Reset, you can download 1-2 apps at a time, with 2-3 days in between. This will let us know if/ which app it could be, as you'll begin to notice the difference/ issues right away. Are you able to do this? A Hard Reset and not download previous apps right away?

VanessaS_VZW
0 Likes
ccraven89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Vanessa,

Sorry, I was not very clear in my previous posts about that. I have the automatic restore option unchecked so whenever I did a factory reset it did not re install any previous apps. I have done what you described but to be thorough I will run through the factory reset without downloading any new apps to verify the issue occurs with only the factory supplied software.

Thanks

ccraven89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, I was able to quickly reproduce the problem after a factory reset/partition cache wipe. Below is the log of stuff I did. No additional apps installed.

4/17/15 3:43pm - Factory reset, erase all data, allowed device to boot up to the first step of the setup wizard (Screen to choose language)

4/17/15 3:46pm - Powered off device, powered back up and wiped partition cache

4/17/15 3:50pm - Working through the setup screens, attaching to my gmail account
        Unchecked backup and restore option

Left options under Location and Communication checked

4/17/15 3:54pm - WiFi appears to be scanning for networks but will not find any

Bluetooth is unable to connect

4/17/15 3:55pm - Device reboots on its own, no user intervention

Device is back and running, Wifi slider will not stick to the on position, immediately slide back to off

Bluetooth will not turn on, same slider behavior as WiFi

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@ccraven89

Thanks for confirming all the troubleshooting steps you've tried!  I see you've gone through a great deal of trouble trying to resolve this wireless issue.  You mentioned earlier that this was a replacement you received from Asurion.  They actually hold the warranty to their replacement devices.  I recommend reaching out to Asurion Technical Support at (Toll Free) 888-881-2622 for further assistance with your wireless device.  Please let them know all of the troubleshooting steps you have already completed.  Keep me posted with your results.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
dabigo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I am experiencing the exact same problem as CCraven89. A cursory internet search shows that this is a pervasive problem with KitKat 4.4.4 and Motorola Droid Maxx phones. I too am being pushed over my monthly data usage.

sinacolak
Enthusiast - Level 1

I  also having this issue, and have had it for months as listed above.  I installed the latest update this evening and WiFi and Bluetooth still do not work.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Sinacolak,

Software updates should improve the device! Sorry to hear that this did not occur. We know its important for your Wifi and Bluetooth to work properly. What software version installed on the device? Go to settings>about phone>build/software verison.  Has there been any liquid or physical damage to the device? Place the device in safe mode to see if there feature work http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83030/ .

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes