WiFi problem after JB update
TerryPickett

Razr Maxx

JB 4.1.2

Phone recognizes my wiFi, but never connects.  All other devices connect easily.

I have 4 bars on home screen, but when I go to WiFi in settings it shows a weak signal and keeps cycling through "connecting."

I have deleted my wifi network on wifi settings, then searched, installed password -- same result.  I have power-cycled the phone and modem -- same result.

Is there a fix for this?   Thanks.

Message was edited by: Terry Pickett

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi problem after JB update
Not applicable

Many people have stated they have no problem connecting to other networks so that would not help your home wifi situation .

Do the steps I outlined in the second thread link, before you purchase any new devices. it has been written on this board that a replacement modem from your provider which is free seems to have fixed the issue.

I had no issues on the update. I own a new A/C Router it connected slowly at first but did connect with a strong signal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A 'fix' that others have reported is buying/obtaining a new router (you may want to search the forum; there are several threads about this issue).  Have you tried updating your router's firmware?

TerryPickett

I don't see the point in that as all other devices connect -- tablets, laptops, kindles, etc.  But I will investigate that.

0 Likes
TerryPickett

Modem has latest firmware.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
TerryPickett

Thanks for the referrals.  I had read the first link, but the second one was new to me.  I had tried everything suggested, except hard reset on the phone and replacing the modem.

The second thread seem to conclude that it was the modem.  I am hesitant as everything else connects so well.  I will test the phone on other networks and see what results.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Many people have stated they have no problem connecting to other networks so that would not help your home wifi situation .

Do the steps I outlined in the second thread link, before you purchase any new devices. it has been written on this board that a replacement modem from your provider which is free seems to have fixed the issue.

I had no issues on the update. I own a new A/C Router it connected slowly at first but did connect with a strong signal.

0 Likes
TerryPickett

Elector,

I did try your 3 earlier suggestions:  firmware update (none available on a Westell327w), power cycling modem (no change), and rescanning for networks (no change).

I have been in touch with my provider, Centurylink.  We will try a new, updated modem.  I hope my experience mirrors yours.  I will let you know.

Thanks for the follow-up

0 Likes
ffdemoss

I have the same issue with the same router and same ISP, CenturyLink.  Let me know how this turns out.  I called...they made me change a bunch of stuff to no avail but saw your post and before I call again I want to see what happens with your experience.  Thanks.

0 Likes
TerryPickett

CenturyLink new modem did the trick!  Arrived overnight and the RAZR connceted immediately.

They sent a ZyXEL PK5001Z

Thanks for everyone's help.

btw  Verizon technical assistance was sincere but not helpful.

0 Likes