Why is my Droid Turbo 2 powering down randomly then has to be plugged in?
NATTAY84
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Droid Turbo 2 recently started powering off randomly.  I will be using it, then it just goes black.  The power button, and power button combos (like power + vol down) will not turn it back on.  The only way to bring it back is by plugging it in.  This is occurring when I have almost a full charge.   I have been using exclusively a certified quick charge 2.0 charger.  I have not had any other issues with the device, and have had great battery life (usually a little shy of 2 days.)  I recently updated to the latest system update, and activated HD calling.

A screenshot of my batter screen is attached.

Advice appreciated!  If I go to a store, will they help me?  Am I under warranty?

Screenshot_20161012-082849.png

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo 2 powering down randomly then has to be plugged in
NATTAY84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I'm just lucky, but my replacement phone hasn't had any issues in the two weeks since I got it.

KRINUS85​ I'm doing two things differently with my replacement device:

1. OEM charger - I replaced my 3rd party charger that I had been using with a Verizon charger
  2. Apps - I have installed considerably fewer apps

It sounds like you may have done this, but have you tried leaving your phone in the exact factory state for at least 24 hours to see if the problem happens?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you remember any pattern of what you were doing before the phone shutdown?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NATTAY84
Enthusiast - Level 2

This happened 6 times since Saturday, 4 of them today.  Once was using the camera, ones was the JetBlue app, once was the Google launcher search embedded browser, and the rest have been from Google Chrome.

0 Likes
NATTAY84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ugh, I fear this is a hardware problem as it appears that my device's battery is not able to report that its being drained.

Does anyone know if there's something I can clear/reset to attempt to fix this with software?

flat.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nattay84,

I can imagine the surprise you had with your battery. Especially when you were getting a 2 day battery life previously. You mentioned you have been using a 2.0 charger. Is this the charger that came in the box? Have you tried your old charger and see if this clears up any issues?

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important to be able to have a phone that stays connected for you.

Does the Turbo 2 do this while in Safe Mode? http://spr.ly/65878Bq4b

There was a recent software update on the phone so we recommend testing the phone after you use the Software Upgrade Assistant http://spr.ly/65888Bq4j

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NATTAY84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I asked this, the problem has become even more frequent, so I've spoken to customer support on the phone and they are sending me a replacement device.

To answer the questions above:

• I lost that charger, but as far as I can tell this problem is unrelated to charge as it occurs at 100%, 70%, 30% etc and everywhere in between, and then it doesn't require recharging to come back -- it just wont boot back up until it is plugged into a charger.  It only takes about 1 second, then I can unplug it, at which point it will boot and I might be able to use it for 2 hours (or 2 minutes) until the next random shut down occurs.
  • Yes, the problem occurs in safe mode.  I have the most recent update, and the problem only started occuring after that update.  Since I opened this ticket, the phone techs had me do a factory reset, which did not resolve the problem.

That said, no further troubleshooting is required since a replacement device is on the way.

0 Likes
KRINUS85
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exact same issues with my turbo 2.  Sent in original phone for the same problems, they sent me this "like new" turbo 2.  Not even a month later Exact same problems with this "like new" phone.  Phone randomly turns off and will not turn on unless plugged in, battery has plenty of charge, same problems in safe mode, etc.  This phone has literally turned off 50-60 times today. They have no solution other than sending you someone elses broken phone, which they refer to as a "LIKE NEW" phone. Verizon is sending me Another "like new" phone tomorrow which will more than likely end with the same issues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the same issues with two completely different phones, the odds are the problem is with something you installed on both devices. You should run the phone in safe mode to to rule out the if it is a third party app or a hardware issue.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KRINUS85
Enthusiast - Level 1

If u read the comment it states that the same issue happens in safe mode.  I have done every troubleshooting out there.  disabling apps, Safe mode, factory resets, ect nothing helps phone is basically unusable.  This is not an isolated issue i have found my forums with people having the same issues.  Still NO solution