Why does my speakerphone keep turning on by itself?
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

My HD MAXX has been turning the speakerphone on by itself over the past 2 weeks. It happens when using either bluetooth or just talking regularly using the earpiece. At first I thought I must have been triggering the button with my face but I turn the lock button on so the screen isn't on.  And it's also doing it while I'm on bluetooth so I'm not even touching the phone. Really getting annoying. It's not all the time but it's fairly often and makes me have people hold on while I turn it back off.

Any ideas what's causing this? No new apps recently. This one has me stumped

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speakerphone keeps turning on by itself
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks lumlum. I tried going into Apps and uninstalling the last update. Essentially, it's back to the factory version of Text to Speech. I then had to turn off the Auto Update feature for that App. It's a pain that it keeps popping back up saying the app needs to be updated but I've had a few calls since trying it last night and so far the problem hasn't occured again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this resolved it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
FuzzyMO

I'm seeing the same behavior with my Razr M. If I see an answer I'll pass it along.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello paulras,

Sorry to hear about what's going on with your phone! Does the device have any kind of damage or case on it? Does opperating the device in Safe Mode provide any change? http://vz.to/1ghD9rj

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets get your Razr M running smoothly FuzzyMO! Has anything changed on the device when you noticed the trouble? Has there been any physical/water damage? I would recommend running the phone in Safe Mode to determine whether an app is causing the trouble http://vz.to/1hWFKIm

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lumlum
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem and it just started last week.  I was about to post and found this thread.  Already tried with safe mode and the same thing happens.  The speaker phone would automatically come on around 30 seconds of the call whether on earpiece or Bluetooth connection. 

No physical damage or water damage on phone.

HD MAXX

0 Likes
Yak-attack

Having same issues with my Maxx HD and my wife's Razr M.  Both started a week or so ago as well.  Hopefully they find a fix soon.  No damage and safe mode does not help.

0 Likes
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

No damage. Phone is still fairly pristine after a year. Like the others who responded, this issue only recently happened. One other thing I've noticed at the same time is that the Bluetooth in my car (Volkswagen CC) only worked for calls. Now over the past few weeks, it has started to work when I hit the Google Now voice button on the home screen. It's never done that before. I used to have to speak into the phone itself. Now it comes on my car Bluetooth. I haven't changed anything on my car setting and my car wasn't upgraded or anything. It's not always that the Google Now comes through my car speakers but it's probably 90% of the time. A huge increase from never having done it in over 1 year.

Wondering if something got updated on the phone recently that would cause the problem with the speakerphone turning on by itself and Google Now all of a sudden coming through my car Bluetooth

0 Likes
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just tried Safe Mode and it didn't do it for one call. Not sure yet if this fixed the problem by only one call but it was a long one and normally it would happen every few minutes at least.  What are my next steps so that I'm not always using safe mode?

0 Likes
lumlum
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe I found the problem and you guys can thank me later   I was about to storm into a Verizon store...

This happened after Google updated their 'Google text-to-speech' program.  Go to settings - language & input and disable Google voice typing.  I set mine back to default android keyboard and I haven't been disconnected from Bluetooth or speakerphone coming on by itself.

V

Yak-attack

Thanks lumlum but it didn't help for me.  I was on a call (not on blue tooth) and it went to speaker phone.  I looked at the phone and it said speaker was off.  I tapped it so the screen shows it was on, but it actually turned off so the display was showing the opposite of what was really going on. (If that makes sense)  I'll be giving Verizon a call later today.

0 Likes