Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?
ChristiLockridge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why cant i talk and surf at the same time? Got lost yesterday and while on the phone i couldn't search store web to get the address. Perfect timing to figure this out; when you're lost.  This is a MAJOR problem for me and anyone on the go. WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED??? I will not hesitate to return this phone as im sure all TURBO users feel the same. Someone said the MOTO X was the same way... is it still...why hasn't then been fixed by now? Which now makes me wonder if this wasn't an oversight but something intentional. Why did they hide the fact that they knew this was going on? i should have been told that this capability wasn't available on the TURBO at time of purchase. FIX IT NOW!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?
rcschnoor
Legend

As I have previously said in other threads, it depends on how it is deployed.

Advanced Calling 1.0 which utilizes VoLTE requires both phones to have VoLTE and be using this protocol during the call. VoLTE in and of itself DOES not have this same requirement.

The Verizon iPhone 6 has VoLTE. It also has Advanced Calling 1.0. It does not have the capability to simultaneously do voice/data UNLESS the voice is over VoLTE OR data is over wifi. To test this, I went to a Verizon store, disabled wifi on an iPhone 6, activated VoLTE and attempted to make a call. There was an LTE signal available at the time. While on a call to a NON-VoLTE phone, I was SUCCESSFULLY able to navigate to multiple websites and use apps which utilize data. I tried the SAME call after disabling VoLTE and got messages stating the data network was unavailable to use.

VoLTE in and of itself does not require both phones to be using VoLTE at the time of a call. Advanced Calling 1.0 DOES, but that also gives you additional capabilities such as video which are not available simply on VoLTE but not Advanced Calling 1.0.

It is all in how VoLTE is deployed.

View solution in original post

Cruser2008
Contributor - Level 2

Did you specifically ask if it had this feature? A lot of people don't care that they can't talk and be on the internet at the same time.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I agree, if a feature is important to you, why did you not test it prior to your purchase.

For what it is worth, it is intentional. Once VoLTE is fully capable, the phone will have the capability to talk/surf as long as the call in question is over VoLTE. If the call is not over VoLTE, it is quite likely you wouldn't be able to surf at all anyway, even if you weren't on a call. The additional antennae on the phone was left out with this thought of future VoLTE capabilities.

ChristiLockridge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't test this feature out when purchasing the phone because it's not considered a FEATURE in my book. The same as texting, or calling or browsing. This is just a given. To be able to talk and surf, check a email, google location, check fb or a SnapChat while phoning has been on every phone i've had for years. And i've had every DROID since the original with the exception of the Bionic. Unless you carry two phones around, seriously who doesn't use this feature?!? You get a call asking if you received a document sent email and you cant check it. Get lost and you can't Google location, your kids call and ask if you received that silly pic they sent via SnapChat; this ability is utilized constantly. Maybe the people asked didn't realize who much they used it or carry two phones.

ChristiLockridge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh and when my ULTRA started acting a lil glitchy i upgraded to the Galaxy S5 the week it came out in May. (Deeply disappointed because it lacked the handsfree) It still has the dual capabilites....why not the TURBO/ latest and greatest/ DROID always DOES ??

B33
Legend

Well in the Heartland of Tornado Alley it's nice to be able to talk to the National Weather service and Look at your Radar on your phone at the same time, and if this phone is not able to do as say like phones before it.. It could cause some risks now that type of weather is not some much of a problem now as were heading into winter but in the spring or before spring it would be nice if there was a update that would help the phone do 2 task at once..

Like mentions..  I would like to see A update ASAP for this issue or least before I buy one

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both the Droid Turbo and new Moto X are supposedly to receive an update by the end of the year to address this issue.

B33
Legend

Sounds Good.. just for asking was the source of the info on this provided by A.C. or Droid Life I seen the article on D.L. but wasn't sure of a release date to help address it..  the update for my phone sets it for the new voLTE but I'm not sure if I run it, I'll run into the same thing so I think I'm going to hold off updating my phone for little till I learn more about it..

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

ChristiLockridge wrote:

And i've had every DROID since the original with the exception of the Bionic.

Then you have had phones WITHOUT the capability of talk/surf at the same time. If you don't realize this, then you don't(or at least didn't) use it as often as you think. Original Droid didn't have this capability. Droid X didn't have this capability. Droid X2 didn't have this capability. For the most part(there may have been exceptions of which I am unaware), NO Verizon phone had this capability until 4G phones and then ONLY when on a 4G LTE signal. 4G phones on a 3G signal did not/do not have this capability.

ChristiLockridge wrote:

The same as texting, or calling or browsing. This is just a given.

Personally, I check these things on EVERY phone before I purchase. This is just a given.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw it on Droid Life and it's already been mentioned several times on the forum.

0 Likes