Re: When can I expect Lollipop update for Droid Turbo?
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

A lot of forum members have worked for major firms and some have been in positions (myself included)  where they are responsible for delivering a product (be it hardware, firmware, software) and  also with that responsibility comes milestone and delivery commitments. If verizon is the ultimate customer for Android 5 and there is a delay in the contracted delivery, which has an agreed to delivery time frame,  then they know what the general problem is and it's new expected delivery time. An open ended development time frame for a commercialized product is never been the case in the firms I've worked at or for. We, the purchasers of the Turbo, are Verizon's customers and as that "soon" is, to many, an unacceptable answer to questions as to when (and if) buggy portions of PROMISED features are coming.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You would know that Motorola is the one in charge and anyone outside will not know yourself.  Motorola specifically said it themselves they are dropping 5.0 for all devices that haven't gotten it yet and will push 5.1 instead.  So you know what the contract between Verizon and the manufacturer is?  I am willing to bet a free trip to Hawaii there is no contract dates for any of these updates because the fact it's all dependent on Google when they release something.  What happens when Google doesn't release anything?  If you look at every Google release they have been inconsistent to even have any type of contingency date.

You are a Motorola customer when it comes to your phone, but a Verizon customer when it comes to service.  Verizon did not make your phone let alone write the code for the phones(proven by Motorola, Google, Sony, HTC, and even Samsung).  So if you want any timelines it can only come from Motorola.  You working for a major firm should know this.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon knows the status of the pending Turbo update. You don't really believe they're in the dark, do you?

I would have loved to work my 39 years never being held to milestones or commitment dates.

I'll bet a lot of people would really love to work for a company that paid you just to show up and not be responsible for anything,

Comments edited to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
Eddiear
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah. I can just imagine the response if I told a customer, "I'm sorry your $250K tractor isn't performing as it should, but Daimler is working on a software update to the ECM that will fix the bugs. Sorry, no, I can't tell you when that will be. We'll give you a call."  Maybe things are different in the geek world.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

Verizon knows the status of the pending Turbo update. You don't really believe they're in the dark, do you?

I would have loved to work my 39 years never being held to milestones or commitment dates.

I'll bet a lot of people would really love to work for a company that paid you just to show up and not be responsible for anything.

Comments edited to comply with >>

Easy answer... In development... Come one now seriously Motorola told everyone just a few weeks ago they are dropping 5.0 in favor of 5.1 why would it be different in such a short time?   Can we be a little rational now?

So you are saying you'd want 5.0 buggy when Google themselves said it was and actually recommended to manufacturers to wait to 5.1 before pushing out lollipop?  This wasn't the first time Google did this.  They said manufacturers should wait for 4.0.3 once before.

Comments edited to comply with >>

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Eddiear wrote:

Yeah. I can just imagine the response if I told a customer, "I'm sorry your $250K tractor isn't performing as it should, but Daimler is working on a software update to the ECM that will fix the bugs. Sorry, no, I can't tell you when that will be. We'll give you a call."  Maybe things are different in the geek world.

Again Apples to Carrots...  And Guess what IT DOES HAPPEN like that.  If you owned a vehicle with the recent airbag recall.  People had to wait for a fix and there was... NO TIME FRAME when the parts will be in to fix it, but will be notified when it does come in.  40 days later nothing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I wanted to add.  Like I said before you probably have specific projects which your clients give you deadlines and pays for it.  You build the software.  You don't wait for someone else to make the software (Google), then modify said software(manufacturer), and then tested by a third party(Carrier).  The dynamics are completely different like I said before. 

0 Likes
D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

"Turbo will get Lollipop soon, its safe to buy"

Well, I have to think about paying my bill. First, I have to make the money. Then, I'll want to check my finances. Then, I'll let my wife make sure she doesnt want to spend that money on something for herself. Then, well, I'll make sure my checkbook is balanced. Then, if its not, I'll stop the whole process and start over. Don't worry Verizon, I'll pay you soon.

D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon reminds me of that commercial with the guy and a fishing pole with a dollar on it. "Here, I found you an update. Whoops, you almost had it. Gotta be quicker than that"

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Show me where Verizon lied when they said soon. Soon isn't a predetermined date. Soon can me from Noe to the end of the world.  Anyway doesn't matter at this point Motorola said they are working on 5.1 instead of 5.0 and that matters. That was something Motorola decided to do.

0 Likes