Re: Voice Recognititon Problems
Karenfaust
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm Having the same issues.  Also, if I say "Call mom" it will do a google search for things with the keyword mom in it but it will not go to my contacts with mom.  If I ask it to "text mom, I will be late" it either won't work at all or it will just put "mom in the message section".  This phone clearly advertises that this feature is suppose to work.  Go into the app Help Center and click on Google voice actions - suppose to be very easy.  I even paid for the app Jeannie thinking it would work.  Nope!  Her response when I ask her to text mom is "opening text messages".  I'm so frustrated!!!!  I've called verizon tech support several times, had them send me two different new phones, neither one worked and also called Motorola.  All of the techs act as if I'm asking this phone to use some crazy app.  They keep asking me to use the Voice Commands button which is a two step process instead of just pushing the hard button and speaking - like the phone is suppose to do.  Any solutions???

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Installed Smart Keyboard and I like the options and I'm going to keep it.

It did not fix the problem with sending text messages using voice search ... IE long press the search icon and say "Send text to Brenda Mobile" (or most other contact names having two words). The problem being it will not put any name in the "To" section of the text or it will put the wrong name..."Paul Cell" is entered as "Paul Work".

Now if I use "voice command" or go directly to "Text" and directly enter the "to" box and use the microphone icon it works much better. In fact it if it isn't sure it gives you options. Brenda Cell  shows the options of Brenda Work, Brenda Home and Brenda Cell.

My conclusion is there are some problems with voice search when you use the "Send Text" command option. Not only is it inaccurate when finding the proper contact name but it doesn't give you options if its confused. The message part of the text when entered by voice is almost flawless. I find other voice commands (navigate, call etc.) when using voice search works very well.

What makes me a little angry, this is the first thing the guy does on the help video for using voice search. He says send text to and uses something like john's mobile (two words for contact) and quickly says the message. He then smiles and goes ... see how easy it is. LOL

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

First there is some confusion using voice search for making calls to those in the contacts list. It doesn't do it!

They buried that information deep in the  manual. Apparently even some Motorola and Verizon techs are confused about that. I was hoping it was going to be corrected with ICS but no such luck. They have done almost everything they could to confuse the two issues.... call contacts VS calling numbers found on google search. I won't say they did it on purpose but it took me quite awhile to figure it out and I'm not the only one. If they gave you new phones for that issue only they were asleep at the switch.

You are right.... there is no one click method to use "voice search" to make calls to a contact. However you can put the "Voice Command" on your center home page and then click it and say "call blah blah and it will do it.

So to be clear... there are some very different features between "Voice Command" and "Voice Search". Here's another example ... you can supposedly one click Voice Search to send a text but its a many click effort to do it in Voice Command.  The only reason I can think of why is that one is an Internet function and the other is a telephone function. ... now I'm gussing but it kinda makes sense.

So when the training video guy says "Call blah blah" using voice search...well "blah blah" is not in his contacts. Its a business and it uses google search to find the telephone number. They could have made that much clearer or better yet they could have put "Call Contact (name)" as an option in voice search. Seems like there should be an app for dat. LOL

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

regor3 wrote:

Installed Smart Keyboard and I like the options and I'm going to keep it.

It did not fix the problem with sending text messages using voice search ... IE long press the search icon and say "Send text to Brenda Mobile" (or most other contact names having two words). The problem being it will not put any name in the "To" section of the text or it will put the wrong name..."Paul Cell" is entered as "Paul Work".

Now if I use "voice command" or go directly to "Text" and directly enter the "to" box and use the microphone icon it works much better. In fact it if it isn't sure it gives you options. Brenda Cell  shows the options of Brenda Work, Brenda Home and Brenda Cell.

My conclusion is there are some problems with voice search when you use the "Send Text" command option. Not only is it inaccurate when finding the proper contact name but it doesn't give you options if its confused. The message part of the text when entered by voice is almost flawless. I find other voice commands (navigate, call etc.) when using voice search works very well.

What makes me a little angry, this is the first thing the guy does on the help video for using voice search. He says send text to and uses something like john's mobile (two words for contact) and quickly says the message. He then smiles and goes ... see how easy it is. LOL

Remeber that Smart Keyboard does not use the system voice command because it has its own built in that works better for me...

Now as for the Google Search, have you tried to hit the search button and then while search window is open click the menu button...  There should be a menu for "Search Setting" and then Searchable Items?

If you select Searchable Items and check the items that the application is having issues with you may get a better responce, give it a try and see if it helps you any.

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I think the voice command is from Moto and voice search is from Google.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for the hint about lookin in Search Setting in the Google Search area. I did that and the box for Peolpe (name of your contacts) was checked.

I think its getting down to either I have a unique flaw on the Voice Search when using  the "Send Text to" feature when it tries to match to the contacts list or.... its not working well for anyone.

As I said all other voice features work well both in Google search and Voice Command.

0 Likes
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think so too now. Two different programs from different sources but both doing some of the same things but differently.

I wish Voice Command had a "Send Text to" feature. That works better when trying to find contacts in the Text app than Voice Search.

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I had the same problem with sending text and calling. No other problems in search. Voice command works great. I think it is a Google search thing. I had the same issue with my Droid inedible.

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

It is under voice commands and send message.  It will only open the text box and enter the name of the recipient.  You have to hit the microphone button.  But it does a good job of translating what you are saying (even entering the punctuation where you want).

0 Likes
Karenfaust
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree to some extent.  It does do it on a few phones.  The reason I picked the Droid instead of the IPHone 4s was because the salesman at the Verizon Store had a Droid Razr and showed me how it sent a text and called "wifey".  It worked all in one step when he pressed the hard key on his phone.  I also had mine working when I downloaded the app Jeannie but then it stopped.  So I updated my phone to ICS and now it won't work again.  I paid for the full verison of Jeannie but still not working.  It will only open the text messaging when i ask her to send a text.  However, all other features of voice actions work using either Jeannie or Voice Search.

My biggest issue is this is an advertised feature on this phone but yet noone seems to know about it or how to fix it. And yes, the motorola tech did tell me that the manual says to use voice commands not voice search/voice actions.

0 Likes