Verizon 'network change' downgrading my razrmaxx to 3G
ReidF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, my razrmaxx is 5 years old but has been doing well at 4G LTE.  Last week I received the text message from Verizon: "Due to network changes, Droid 4, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx and Xoom devices you have on your account may only connect at 3G speeds...."  The included link in the text merely takes me to my login page which contains no details about the 'network change' but a myriad of upgrade promos.

Calls to Verizon prove fruitless and the one tech support representative that seemed understand that it wasn't so much as my 4G LTE phone as their changes has failed to call me back with any details (as he promised).  Certainly, I'm not totally adverse to moving to a newer phone but I certainly resent being pushed to the change.  I have four lines with Verizon and an account that extends back longer than I remember.  If I have to move to a new phone(s) I am certainly back to shopping the range of other providers for the effort.

Does anyone have a good explanation for what Verizon is doing to their network that is invalidating older Droid 4G LTE products and forcing them to only perform at 3G??

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon 'network change' downgrading my razrmaxx to 3G
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What? Those phones are likely to only have the LTE band 13 on it and it makes no sense for them to disable that frequency on any of their towers. I could see them switching the CDMA frequencies from CDMA to LTE, but that wouldn't have affected your connection with the network other than the bandwidth for the CDMA or EDVO connections would be reduced.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
C6Z06
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem with my Droid Razr. They could have at least gave a few weeks to a month notice before cutting me off of 4G. Then they still charge me the 4G speeds. At least they could reduce the charges since I'm not getting what was advertised. I'm looking for a new carrier.  So unfair!

0 Likes
ReidF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your ideas!   I agree, none of it makes sense except for shunting traffic to that band and throttling some devices.  It seems a little reminiscent of throttling 4G LTE during growing pains of the 2013/14.

0 Likes
ReidF
Enthusiast - Level 2

C6Z06... it looks like it was roughly one weeks' notice here. Far too short.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

C6Z06, we'd be sad to see you leave the Verizon Wireless family. We want to make sure that you're getting the service that you deserve. When did you receive the message about your 4G services being turned off? Are you able to provide me with a screenshot of this message? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ReidF
Enthusiast - Level 2

VWCS: This is the OP to this thread.  While your concern for losing C6Z06 is admirable, you're also at high risk of alienating my business.  You might take the time to read the original post and not just the last entry. 

More so, I should hope that you are fully capable of seeing the text messages originating from Verizon.  Since I created this thread while logged in I'd expect that you're able to do so with my associated account information. 

Otherwise, the text of the bulk of the message was included in my original post and my zip code is 98040. Perhaps you can research and elaborate on what network changes are slated or recently adopted in this region that is causing older 4G LTE Droid phones to become obsolete.  So far, phone conversations with Verizon tech support has been useless and a waste of time.  I was hopeful reaching out via this mechanism would prove to be better....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ReidF,

I never want you to feel we overlooked your post. I have reviewed the notification of the Network Upgrade system that will cause 5 older Motorola devices. This is correct. As technology will always continue to evolve, we are providing a heads up that these devices will not work with the network changes we are making. These devices will lose the 4G connectivity. These devices are the ones that would be affected. We are offering customers a $300.00 off the purchase of a Moto Z or Moto Z Force, or $200.00 off the purchase of a Moto Z2 Play. We would be happy to go over options, but at this time, releasing company policies as to why these devices were selected is privacy protected as to network improvements. The available devices can be viewed by clicking the link. http://spr.ly/65838sPWh .

VeronicaM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ReidF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Veronica@VWCS,

Thank you for the reply, but you are mistaken.  The very first reply to my thread/post did in fact overlook most everything I posted about and the post was even addressed to another customer!

Further, a full week of chronic customer service script reading from Verizon support, extensive on-hold while they 'investigate' and then failure to return a call(s) as they promised underlies and supports my accusation of mistreatment. 

Combine this with absolutely sparse information in the original notification even to the minor effort of informing us as to a timeline and it is unacceptable on your part.  Perhaps the obfuscation and sidelining of my queries is due to your 'privacy protected network' excuse.  I'll grant Verizon the need to keep certain aspects of their vision proprietary but certainly some of this is neither rocket science nor unknown your competitors.  Certainly your customer facing effort needs to revisiting.

Verizon's behavior to date in handling my justified request for details is fully unprofessional.  As a share holder and client I will be reviewing my relationship with your company.  Certainly, just two weeks ago we were considering the addition of new lines with Verizon and at this point they will fulfilled elsewhere.  The lines your currently service will be moved to another provider at my convenience.

0 Likes
C6Z06
Enthusiast - Level 1

I subscribed to my plan with the agreement that I'd get 4G connectivity. My phone does not work on 4G anymore because of Verizons network changes.

I've paid for 4G connectivity but now I receive 3G . So I'm getting ripped off by Verizon. I hear your offer is for me to spend more money so that I can get the service I paid for? I'm even more confused by you.

I'm not giving Verizon any more money for my plan nor for a new phone to continue with Verizon. I don't want my plan changed. I liked how it was. I've been a Verizon Wireless customer for more than 13 years. I need you to make this right. I don't have a job. If I have to spend more money, I'd rather give it to another company who may treat me in an ethical and fair manner.