Verizon Spam on my computer.
wsmckelvy

About a week ago a strange thing started happening. Whenever I connect my Razzr Max to my Windows 7 laptop via USB, A browser window opens up, and goes to http://products.verizonwireless.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_backupAssistantPlus&vid=1 and runs a video extolling the virtues of Backup Assistant Plus! This happens every time I connect the phone to the computer. As far as I know I have not downloaded anything that would cause this to happen. I view this as a invasion of my privacy, and I am extremely ticked off about it. I have asked Verizon's tech support about it and have yet to receive a response. (It has been a week tomorrow)

I would be very surprised if i am the only one that this is happening to and would be interested to hear from other Verizon users that have had similar unsolicited marketing thrust upon them.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Spam on my computer.
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

when you connect your phone in the system tray (bottom right corner) it will show a red and black icon almost resembling a phone. Right click on the icon and it has one line. When phone connects.... Click on this and then click on Do Nothing and it will go away.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

when you connect your phone in the system tray (bottom right corner) it will show a red and black icon almost resembling a phone. Right click on the icon and it has one line. When phone connects.... Click on this and then click on Do Nothing and it will go away.

0 Likes
wsmckelvy

Thanks. That took care of it.I am surprised that downloading an app from a Motorola site would have that effect and feel a little stupid for not checking that the motocast app was responsible. I am also surprised that after several attempts that Verizon was either unable or unwilling to provide a solution. .

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When you plug in your phone (to computer) you are hitting the app stored on your phone. It contains the drivers needed to make the computer recognize your phone. Although the app says it is the Motorola XXX set, it is published and manipulated by Verizon before they put it on the phone so it will go to their site.

They force start you to Backup Assistant as they want you to use that for all of your contact backups so they can absorb all of your contacts and use them in mass mailings (the main reason I disable Backup Assistant on my phone). When you call Verizon they will NOT tell you about how to shut it off as they want you to go to Backup Assistant so they play dumb to keep it on your phone / computer.

Glad it worked for you.

0 Likes