Verizon Remote Diagnostics is running on my phone. Why?
rdguy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, hoping someone can provide some help.  I have been noticing my phone - A Droid Razr - slowing down, acting up, homescreen error requiring restart, etc. I saw a program called "Verizon Remote Diagnostic" but didn't think much of it at first.  I did a factory reset and things stayed the same.  I looked into this App as it is consistently running in my processes. Apparently, the app is a remote desktop that gives Verizon employees ability to access your phone.  The list of permissions includes everything, from reading SMS and media, call logs, GPS, the whole works.  However, Verizon has stated that it is not a monitoring tool, requires explicit user permission, etc.  Here is a brief rundown from a Verizon spokesperson:

“It is a piece of the new software and cannot be removed, but it does not run in the background. It only runs when a customer calls support and gives permission to use it . . . The tool will not run unless a customer gives explicit permission during a call with customer support. If customer support suggests using the tool as a way to diagnose a problem the customer will see a notification on their device after customer support initiates the Verizon Remote Diagnostics tool. A customer will then see a permission request directly on their device along with “terms and conditions” and an “Accept” or “Reject” button. A customer will need to select “Accept” in order for the tool to run. Customers are free to select “Reject” and the tool will not run.

Customers will also be given a 4-digit PIN by customer support and that PIN must be entered in the device by the customer in order for this to work. . . it does not run in the background. It only runs when a customer gives permission to use it.” - http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19/verizons-new-remote-diagnostic-tool-what-you-need-to-know/

I have never called in, never gone into the store other than to purchase the phone, have never given any permission in any way to any Verizon employee, have never even asked a question to Verizon online, in person, over the phone, etc.  I have never had an outside tech look at it or send it off for any repairs. So my question is - Why is this app running on my phone?  To be clear, it is not just on my phone, I understand that the App is listed in the all apps list, but why is the app actively running on my phone when it is not supposed to without my permission?

The person who set my phone up about a year ago was very creepy and asked me if I had any nude pictures on my phone, or if I wanted to transfer any nude pictures from my old phone to my new phone.  When I told him no, he sad "Damn, that ruins me day!" and the other employees laughed and said "damn," Then he spent about 20 or minutes setting it up and making calls on the phone.  My concern is that this sleezy rep gave himself access to my phone, because I most certainly did not.

Curiously, the program stops running shortly after I discover it in the running apps list.  However, I will check later and it will be running again.  This is very concerning.  Is there anyway to get more information on this app and why/how it is running?  How about a history showing times it was accessed, by what IP address, etc.?  I have searched the forum and the internet extensively, but no one else seems to have the program running on their phone. I have a screenshot available if it would help.

Also, and possibly unrelated, is an running app called "Data Offload."  I am not sure what it is doing either.  Thanks so much for any helpful answers!

Labels (2)
Re: Verizon Remote Diagnostics is running on my phone. Why?
Not applicable

Just something to think about. When the store tech set up your phone the process was not done correctly hence it may be just needing to be shut down. if you go into a company store (not a reseller) the tech support person could turn it off, or reset the phone againto function properly.

Your experience with any tech service person is a crap shoot. You may get a tech that is a wizard and leave the store happy. Or get a real dope and have to get another tech. They guy at my local store has been there over 10 years, and he knows his stuff.

Hope it gets resolved for you.

0 Likes
ejf74
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe this may be an app that can be disabled through going through the app manager.  If not, I apologize for the misinformation.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the Verizon Remote Diagnostics app cannot be disabled.

distortiondale

This reply is a little late but Verizon uses a Remote Assistance program for your pc if you have internet with them. It's for their tech support people in India to remotely troubleshoot your pc and now they have it for our phones (Verizon Remote Diagnostic) but you can uninstall Remote Assistance from your pc but not our phones. And yes they need your permission to link up with your device. Posted just in case someone else comes across this thread and need's to know.

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

The remote diagnostics is software on the phone where Verizon wireless tech support can remote into your phone with your permission while you are on the phone with them.  Since its pre installed you cannot remove it and yes you may find it running even tho its not in use...same with some other apps.  They can only access it if you are on the phone with tech support and you have to give them permission to access it.  They give you a code to enter on the phone and you have to accept the terms on your phone before they can.  Also not all tech reps have that access, only some centers.

recaller
Enthusiast - Level 1

You have to root the phone to remove that software, but doing so is not something Verizon likes you to do. #modsareasleep

0 Likes