SD Card, USB Connection & Windows Explorer. What am I looking at ?
cmjinusa

Hi folks.  I want to exchange my 16GB SD Card with a 32GB SD Card.  Purchased the card from Verizon Wireless with my Droid Razr, so I comfortable that I have the right type.  I really haven't don't too much with my phone and wanted to install this larger SD Card before things get out of controll . . .   :smileysad: 

I connected my RAZR to my computer using USB.  All the drivers, etc installed fine, no errors.  Using Windows Explore to see if there was anything stored on the existing SD Card, I was kind of surprised. I have three ( 3 ) new "drives" in the folder list.  I wasn't expecting to see three (3). 

I have an " E: " Drive called MotoCast . .   Pretty sure I know what that is about, but why is it, its own drive ?

Then I have two (2) more drives.  I have a " F: " Drive and a " G: " Drive.  Both have Sub-Folders ( Sub-Directories ) and files in the Sub-Folders.

Why ??  Are all of these drives related to the SD Card are they also related to the Internal Memory ( Storage ) that comes with the phone ?

Do I have to:

a) Copy all of these Folders & Sub-Folders from the existing 16GB SD Card over to my computer

b) Unmount and Remove the 16GB SD Card from the phone

c) Install the new 32GB SD Card in the phone

d) Format the new SD Card

e) Create new " F: " and " G: " Folders on the 32GB SD Card

f) Copy / Move all of the files back 

Thoughts / Suggestions / Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CMJinUSA

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SD Card, USB Connection & Windows Explorer. What am I looking at ?
Wildman
Legend

All you have to do is Insert the old card if the PC card reader, then put other card in phone and mount as storage device..

Once both cards show copy all files from old card and open phone card and paste onto the card in phone and all data will be copied..  Once all is copied then unmount phone and allow card to be read and then you will be good and you can format or just remove the card from reader in PC.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

All you have to do is Insert the old card if the PC card reader, then put other card in phone and mount as storage device..

Once both cards show copy all files from old card and open phone card and paste onto the card in phone and all data will be copied..  Once all is copied then unmount phone and allow card to be read and then you will be good and you can format or just remove the card from reader in PC.

0 Likes
cmjinusa

Wildman ....  Thank you Sir ...  That worked just fine.  If I may, one quick follow up.  When I look at my drives through Windows Explorer, I notice that the name of my SD Card is Removeable Disk (H:smileyhappy: ...  Are there any issues with renaming the SD Card to a new name, i.e. " SD Card " ??

Also . .   Absolutely want to send out a Kudos ..  How do I do that - is it " Accept as Solution " button.

Thank you again and Happy New Year !!

0 Likes
ChrisS235
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can give Wildman Kudos by clicking on the red Kudos button underneath Wildman's name on the left side of the screen.

If you feel Wildman's post answered your question and you think it is an accepted solution, go ahead and click on it as "Accepted Solution"  as well.

Thanks!

Chris

Community Moderator

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

cmjinusa wrote:

Wildman ....  Thank you Sir ...  That worked just fine.  If I may, one quick follow up.  When I look at my drives through Windows Explorer, I notice that the name of my SD Card is Removeable Disk (H:smileyhappy: ...  Are there any issues with renaming the SD Card to a new name, i.e. " SD Card " ??

Also . .   Absolutely want to send out a Kudos ..  How do I do that - is it " Accept as Solution " button.

Thank you again and Happy New Year !!

Usually you can rename the card without issues and it wont effect anything...   If you notice mine was labeled to indicate which was my phone and which one was the PC card reader...

You can change it without issues...  Glad to hear the post helped

0 Likes