Razr Maxx heating up and data spike
Howie_APB

Several times during the day my Razr Maxx is getting extremely hot when it is idle.  I could see if I were using it, but it is just sitting in my pocket and it gets to the point where it is too hot to keep in my pocket.  I have also notices a data spike starting about a week ago.  Exchange services is using up to a gig a day.  I have had the phone for more than 6 months at this point, and I have never had that before.  Whatever it is, it is also killing my battery.  I can hardly last a day on a full charge. The Verizon store was utterly useless.  They are sending me a replacement, but that does not answer any questions, and no guarantee it won't happen again.  Not sure I want a replacement if it is not new, why do I want someone elses problem phone...Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Razr Maxx heating up and data spike
DJGlaceon

It's something that I've been seeing for a while now. I'm actually researching it right now as to why devices are doing this. I know of several people that are dealing with the same issue on more than just android phones. It's happening to other carriers as well. Theory is that it's a virus.

0 Likes
OnceBitten

I'm also seeing this behavior the past few days.  Turning it into airplane mode or powering down for 20-30 minutes will allow it to cool down, but it gets hot immediately when you resume activity/data.  I've killed all the running apps and even removed every non-essential app, but still seeing the behavior more often than not.  The battery usage list doesn't point to anything other than screen/android os consuming significant shares of battery life.

I did notice, however, that if I go into airplane mode and use WiFi, it does not heat up.  I can surf, stream, whatever...and no issues.  It looks like this is tied to the 3g/4g radio.  If I'm in an area with less-than-stellar coverage, the problem is magnified.

Here's to hoping SOMEONE will take notice of this and be able to provide a solution.

- Jeff

0 Likes
OnceBitten

In my case, the PhotoBucket app had gone rogue and was re-uploading everything on my phone, including videos.  It was not consuming CPU, but it was running the 4G radio, which apparantly consumes far more battery than WiFi (didn't that used to be the opposite?).  After killing the PB app, my phone is back to normal and after 16+ hrs of use today, I'm still at 30%

Go to SETTINGS -> DATA USAGE and see if you have any apps using an unusually high amount of bandwidth.  Hopefully this works as well for you as it did for me...

0 Likes