Razr Maxx Screen issues
jennq78
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and I both have the Maxx.  He got his 2 months ago and made sure to buy the Otterbox defender case.  He has always had Droids and has been tough on them, but they have all lasted the 2 years necessary to finish each contract. 

Today- he got out of his truck, put the phone in his pocket with nothing else and walked to the house.  When he took the phone out there was a huge crack across the screen leading up to the right corner where it looks like it has been shot at with a bb.  This was IN the otterbox and a 30 second walk....no dropping it. 

We have insurance, but it's very frustrating because I keep reading that we are not the only one's.  The manager at the Verizon store immediately told him that it was his fault because it's a pressure point, which also upset us because we have had verizon for over 12 years and basically were called liars.  I've contacted both Verizon and Motorola and plan on contacting Corning Gorilla Glass to report this.  I've never seen anything like it.  If he was to drop it, I would expect it.  My son's samsung slider wasn't even damaged this bad when he slammed it under books in his backpack.  This crack is under the main screen....the surface of this phone is in perfect condition. 

If you have had anything similar happen PLEASE report to all of the above so that it can be noted as a defect.  I suspect it's something with the way the layers of the screen are put togther.  It's pretty pathetic to see this "amazing" scratch resistant glass be broken with no aggrevation.

Labels (2)
Re: Razr Maxx Screen issues
Mustang69

I also have been with Verizon for over 12 years. My first phone was a Motorola Startac. I have owned a Nokia, Blackberry, Droid, LG, Thunderbolt, and several other Motorola models. Never has any of the screens ever cracked or shattered, until my Razr Maxx which I have had for only two months. I dropped it barely two feet as others have reported. It cracked in many places. Took it to Verizon and got the same story. No insurance. No replacement. The rep said I should call Motorola and see what they could do. I'm not holding out much hope, but will try tomorrow. Anyone tried to call them? Any results?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well it's terrible to see this i don't know if having T.E.C insurance would help or in this Case what i covers you would think it would as Much is paid once a Month and when reading through the Brochure it said Cases & Batteries are included in TEC so it might not be bad thing to check into. Hope ya both have good Luck.! b33

0 Likes
DG15146

Ad one more to the list of Gorilla Glass casualties. The only thing more frustrating then the "Indestructible Gorilla Glass" cracking when I pulled it out of my pocket, was the complete disinterest I received while attempting to get some form of assistance at my local Verizon Wireless store. I just wanted to find out what my options were with the extended warranty that I pay for monthly. The sad thing is, I am not surprised that the customer service rep was completely rude and not helpful in any way other than convincing me to switch providers when my contract expires. They wouldn't even wave the upgrade period so that I could purchase a new phone and extend my contract. I have been a loyal customer for well over a decade so when the "gentleman" said "The best I can do for you is give you the new razr maxx hd phone at retail"...it's $649.99...at this point the $350 fine for early termination of my contract, would save me $300! Thanks Verizon, for all the great memories!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

No disrespect but putting a phone in the pocket is probably not a good idea it can exert at times pressure on the Glass that it wasn't designed for). For my Razr Maxx's i carry them in a Leather Case's that i bought at Verizon it's a Universal case i used the first case Initially for my Droid X but they've worked great for my Razr's and has kept them in the shape they are in one is over a year old, Maxx no.2 is approaching it's first full year...

But Its not right the Rep. acted in the Matter as he did when i have an experience as this i want to talk to the Manager and once i do the issue is usually resolved.. 

Good Luck on the Phone and Welcome to the Forum.. Smiley Happy b33  

0 Likes
Owner232

Seriously? I have had tons of phones if you lay on the ground or roll around then its a bad idea..... but having it in your pocket shouldn't be a problem unless your wearing some really tight pants. This phone has a problem 100's of people have posted about it cracking and yet nothing has been said or done.

0 Likes
crochetchick

I feel betrayed by Verizon and Motorola! I have been a loyal customer to both for over 17 years and when I have an issue with one of their products, I am told there is nothing they can do.

I have had a Droid phone since they came out 6ish years ago. no problems. I had my Droid 3 for 3 years. 1 & 1/2 months ago I got a Droid Maxx.

The phone fell off of my nightstand and the screen shattered. I have insurance that I pay 3$ a month for and that covers manufactures defects. Really??? I am paying for Motorola to have a crappy product? Why don't they stand behind what they make??? So, I don't have the accidental damage insurance which is 8$ a month. that is 96 dollars a year. So on top of the 96$ a year, it would still cost another 99$ to get the glass replaced. If you call Motorola and ask them for help. they will tell you it cost 175$ plus tax and shipping. So really, one way or another you are paying 200$ for new glass from Verizon/Motorola.

Looking at all the comments, there is a problem with the glass on this phone. When will Motorola do the right thing and when will Verizon demand that something be done?

How disappointed I am in both companies. I will be telling everyone I know about this issue!

0 Likes
wmnewlin
Enthusiast - Level 1

BBB complaint will usually fix any problem..

0 Likes