Razr Maxx Battery Draining Quickly / Screen Gets Really Hot
jd1299

I'm hoping someone can help me out with us. I have had my Droid Razr Maxx since January of 2011, and have never once had an issue with my battery life. However, starting this past Monday (02/11), my battery will be completed drained by noon, after being fully charged from the night before. Also, my screen will get really hot, even when the phone is locked, to the point where it will burn my leg when in my pocket. I searched other forums, and did what they suggested: I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled recently installed apps, I changed the screen brightness from 100% bright to automatic setting, and restarted the phone. Today, the battery has not drained as quickly (I'm at about 50% right now, when normally it would be almost or fully drained by now), but the phone still gets really hot at times. I have WiFi turned off, so I know it's not trying to find a wireless signal. When I check battery usage, 75-85% of it says "Screen." I have not had any recent system updates. I'm grasping at straws here to figure out what's wrong with my phone. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and, if so, what can I do. Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I have no insurance on this phone, so I'm not sure if taking it into Verizon would do me any good. Right now, I'm looking for self-help advice that I can do myself. Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Razr Maxx Battery Draining Quickly / Screen Gets Really Hot
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, I think you may have your dates mixed up. The Razr Maxx was released in January of 2012.

You may want to factory reset your phone as you may have an application conflict which is causing the phone to overwork. My phone(doesn't matter the make or model, they all do it) normally gets warm when it is constantly looking for a cellular signal, however I have had instances of fast battery drain in the past not related to this searching. In these instances, I have deleted the most recent apps(or app updates) I had installed and the problem usually goes away.

In rare occurrences, I have performed a factory reset and the phone is working like new. One thing I always make sure to do when I perform a factory reset is to make sure NONE of the app settings are backed up so that I have to start from scratch when I install the apps again. It is not going to help at all if an app setting is causing the problem when you re-install the app with the exact same settings you had when you were having the problem.

219kimrod
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same heat problem. This is my 2nd refurb and hot out of the box - plastic on back melted day 1; can not keep in pocket; battery drains in one day.  Verizon recommended "App Killer" to turn off pre-installed apps but they turn themselves back on immediately.  Am in Canada for 4 more weeks and Verizon has no service contract with local carrier here so no help until back in the States.  Cost me over $100 to get last refurb sent here through intermediaries.  May be an 'international capable phone" but apparently that does not mean you can reliably use it internationally or get it repaired internationally.  Service people are nice to work with on the phone but they can not get you a phone that works - you just get someone else's problem phone sent to you. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey jd1299!

Oh dear, burning a hole through your pocket is certainly not a function that your Razr should be carrying out. So, let's work on cooling it off. Based on your description of things, kudos on what you've done thus far. With that said though, I must remark that an overheating battery is a great concern of ours. At this point, I would recommend a hard reset http://vz.to/tQ0nkT . If that doesn't work, we would love to explore replacement options. I hope this helps out!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
219kimrod
Enthusiast - Level 2

EvanO_VZW,

Any suggestion for me with same problem? As I stated in my post last week I am in Canada and if I do a factory reset I am told I will have to return to the US to have my phone activated.

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes